First attempt at taxidermy!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First attempt at taxidermy!

Postby 1080tommy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm

I saved this drake because I thought he was a real nice specimen for a first mount. I made several errors in this mount including not defrosting over the weekend when I had more time to complete the mount. So for my first mount I am happy with the way it turned out but there are some major improvements that I think I could make. I had a difficult time wiring the wings, but eventually got them done and for some reason the back and wing feathers did not seem to lay perfectly after washing. I do think for a first try, it came out ok. Here are some pics and I am going to be doing a Common Merganser, and a Pintail later this year. I hope to take more time on those and make a better mount. Gave me appreciation for others that I have seen like birdman studios. He makes some beautiful mounts and I hope to continue with them and get closer to his level.

1080tommy
hunter

Re: First attempt at taxidermy!

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Cool! :thumbsup:
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am

By far no expert on this subject but I'll still tell you what I like. I had a bad experience with my prized mallard. I paid $250 for POO. I think the head on yours looks like an actual duck. I'm not sure what happened to mine, but it looks like the guy jammed them in and put glue around the edges. And the head is very mis shapen. But yours looks like a living duck and the eyes aren't wide open as they never should be. I can't see the right wing very well in your pics but in pic #2 it looks off. Other than that, I'd say we have a lot to look forward to in the future. It's a lot better than the one I paid for that was done by a "professional." Keep it up. I see talent man.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

Tommy, you're arm will eventually get tired. I know this because I held mine for a solid three days before I just couldn't take it any longer. :yes:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tam9492 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Did ya paint the bill yourself or buy a pre-painted artificial? Good work :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the comments. Junior, you are spot on and both wings did not come out that great. When I got the wire in, for some reason the leading edges are not flat, but bent forward. I do not know quite how that happened because I got the wire in the right position because I could feel it in the wing. Also, the head is painted with mallard yellow, transparent green, and then black for the marking on the front and underside of the bill. I just have him that way til I find a piece of driftwood this weekend and I will finish with the driftwood and some artificial reeds or something like that. I agree that the head came out good. There is one spot on the other side that some blood dried on the feathers and after I washed the heck out of him, it was still a little crispy. Not too bad though and the head came out well. The neck is too short by a little as well but I think now that I have committed these errors, I will not in the future. Thanks for the feedback, definitely going to do more because I really enjoyed seeing the finished duck.
1080tommy
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum