I Need A Taxidermist!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

I Need A Taxidermist!

Postby MossyMallard12 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 am

I shot one of the best looking Wood Duck drakes I have ever seen and the best part is no broken feathers or wings and almost no blood on him, I rung his neck though... Anyway I live in SW Iowa and I don't know anyone I can take it to I had one but he doesn't do ducks or geese anymore, kindda in a pickle can anyone help?
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Re: I Need A Taxidermist!

Postby johnmoses » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 am

The best I have ever seen is a guy named Billy Ollie of Bloomquist Taxidermy, Hammond Louisiana. His specialty is birds/waterfowl. He has won numerous awards
AWESOME WORK.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
johnmoses
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm

MossyMallard12 wrote: I rung his neck though.

I suggest someone you don't like then! normally what I do to dispatch a bird I may consider mounting, is laying the bird on its back, and pressing my knee into its breast bone. It takes care of them quick, and does no dammage that i've seen? Wringing the neck on the other hand is probably something I'd avoid in the future.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Piggy backing on Pete, you can pinch the windpipe on the throat and he'll expire pretty quickly as well. You just have to hold it. Wringing the neck stretches the skin and can loosen/pull feathers.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Borane4 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 am

Wringing neck advice is right on. Many wood duck mounts are standing and the neck is pulled in, so you should be OK. Different story on a flying pintail or something.

You can PM me about this taxidermist if you wish? You can UPS him a frozen bird and he does stunning work.

Edited by Moderator. Paying sponsors receive priveleges. I understand it was an oversight, and no ill intent was intended, but taxidermist names with photos are no desired. Please let him know we would love to have him as a sponsor.
Borane4
Newb

Return to Taxidermy Forum