Should I mount this Canvasback?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Should I mount this Canvasback?

Postby DuckDog12/3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am

A few weeks ago, I shot this nice canvasback drake over decoys on a small slough where I have never even seen cans before. A group of 7 cans came in 2 feet off the water in a prefect V with this drake leading 6 hens... when they started letting the gears down, I popped up and dropped the lead drake and the others departed in a nice missing-man formation ;) The next day out I got a nice looking can hen in the same spot, and haven't seen any cans before or since in the area.

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether or not to mount up the pair or at least the drake... He is my first nice can drake and a very memorable hunt. He doesn't seem to be as prime as they come with some grey in the back and shoulder of the wing. I do not have a lot of experience with canvasbacks, but it seems like they will get a brighter white on the back and wing. I'm just curious what y'all think before I commit to sending it in... I am trying to prioritize taxidermy work for the year with a prime wigeon and GWT in the freezer as well... Thanks for your feedback!

cb_2.jpg
DuckDog12/3
hunter

Re: Should I mount this Canvasback?

Postby muskyduck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 am

Any rare sightings in a specific area is a trophy. If it has its colors and no pin feathers, do it! Looks mature enough.

I had a similar situation with a Pintail I shot and a Can. In my area, you be lucky to EVER lay eyes on either, let alone get an opportunity to shoot a nice drake specimen. Not the biggest in the word, but definite trophies based on the hunting area and situations they were taken.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

I shot what I would consider a nice male canvasback last year............i gather that this is a very rare kill for the area we hunt so i put him up on the wall. I would say that the mount position can be used to enhance the bird........for example.....my bird had a white back and somewhat greyish wings so i mounted him in a standing pose to enhance the white on the back. My taxidermist told me that the chances of killing that "very prime mature canvasback" was probably not gonna happen based on where we normally hunt. If i were you i would definetly mount that one because you may never get another unless the population seriously rebounds. Good luck.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

I would do it if I shot it. Especially if it is your first and rare for the area. Also, remember this, most people who come to your house who will see it won't know the difference between a Coot and a Baikal teal. I mounted a less than prime shoveler but I'm the only one that knows that.
troutman561
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 am

Stuff it.... :thumbsup:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 am

No doubt mount it. Nice trophy, congratulations. :thumbsup:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby DuckDog12/3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am definitely stoked about the can pair and the drake is a real trophy to me. I do plan on mounting up the pair of canvasbacks, but the more I think about it, I think I will let them sit in the freezer and see how next season goes. I am in Utah, and the state has a lot of cans, just not in the area I usually hunt. I will try a couple different spots on bigger water to see if I can connect on a more mature bird to put on the wall...if not this one will take a trip to the taxidermist!

For now, I think my first wigeon drake will do! Thanks again! :beer:
Attachments
3396_896604835013_2118095756_n.jpg
DuckDog12/3
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Don't let em sit too long or they won't be mountable.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby DuckDog12/3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Don't let em sit too long or they won't be mountable.

Indeed, that would be a shame. I have them well wrapped in several plastic bags with as much of the air pressed out as possible in a freezer that is not a frost-free, so they should be fine for a year or so... Correct me if I'm wrong though! Cheers
DuckDog12/3
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:19 pm

DuckDog12/3 wrote:

Indeed, that would be a shame. I have them well wrapped in several plastic bags with as much of the air pressed out as possible in a freezer that is not a frost-free, so they should be fine for a year or so... Correct me if I'm wrong though! Cheers

A duck will only make it about 8 months.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Stuff him in some panty hose and into a freezer bag, the hose pulls moisture out and sits ontop rather than on the feathers
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 am

rebelp74 wrote:
DuckDog12/3 wrote:

I used to think that, but untrue if you have a real good taxidermist. I was worried about letting my Pintail sit for 6 mos. Took it in to one of the most reputable taxidermists in the state and he said he has had a duck come in frozen on a cookie sheet that was in the freezer for 3 years. Its just adds a few steps to re-hydrate the dried bird. I just took a canvasback in that was sitting for 15 mos. He took it no problem.

I would talk to the taxidermist first, but if they know their stuff on birds, a year is no problem.
Last edited by muskyduck on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am

muskyduck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
DuckDog12/3 wrote:

I used to think that, but untrue if you have a real good taxidermist. I was worried about letting my Pintail sit for 6 mos. Took it in to one of the most reputable taxidermists in the state and he said he has had ducks come in on a cooky shoot that were in the freezer for 3 years. Its just adds a few steps to re-hydrate the dried bird. I just took a canvasback in that was sitting for 15 mos. He took it no problem.

I would talk to the taxidermist first, but if they know their stuff on birds, a year is no problem.

Yea but that re-hydrating process deteriorates some of the tissue. The mount won't last as long and may begin to breakdown and/or stink.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum