Merganser anyone?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Merganser anyone?

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Would anyone like a gorgeous drake Red-Breast that I shot today?
I know they are not common in many areas...
It's a big boy with great colors and minimal damage
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Merganser anyone?

Postby tam9492 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I'll take him for practice if no one really wants/needs him for a mount.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm

He's in the freezer.....
You have any idea how to ship? I guess I will freeze him solid and then wrap him in styrofoam....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

That's how I get mine to the taxi. Actually, lets hold off for now. I'm getting a few from some friends. Give him to someone who really wants him, because shipping isn't too cheap.
tam9492
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

If the other guy "Tam" doesnt end up getting him I'd love to have him...I have been needing one for my taxi showroom and we hardly get them in good plumage here...Let me know, I'll pay shipping.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

You can have it dablaw :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks buddy...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Ok then...done.
Dab....
PM me some details.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Tam....
I've got a week left to the season, let me know if there's something you need....
Brant
Blacks
Buffs
Hoodies
Mergs.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:06 pm

blacks or hoodies would be great! Some taxidermists just suggest freeze it solid, wrap it in newspaper, and fill the box with loose newspaper. Save some money by using a smaller box I suppose.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm

The best way to send a bird, is take the bird, and freeze him solid. Put it in two freezer bags to prevent leakage during transport. You must tag the bird with your name, license number, date of kill, and where it was killed. On the outside of the box, you must label it "Red-breasted merganser". After you freeze the bird, and are ready to ship, wrap the bird in as much insulating stuff as possible. I like to use insulation like you would use for a wall. Make sure you block out all the air inside the box. So if there is a corner that needs filling, stuff some balled up newspaper and stuff it. I like to freeze the entire wrapped box, and take it to the delivery place (FedEX, USPS, or UPS) before they are going to ship. No need to have it sit in a warm building. If the bird is insulated properly,you can get by sending it ground. I used to pay the price to have it sent overnite or priority, but have learned and taught others how to insulate properly. It saves a ton of money sending it ground, and if done right, the package will still be cold, and many times still frozen. I sent a black duck to a buddy in Texas, and a goldeneye to another buddy in Texas, on the same day. I sent them ground in those coolers that medicine arrives in, wrapped in insulation, and sent them ground. It took four days to get there (including the day I brought it to FedEx), and both arrived still frozen. Those same packages would have been over fifty bucks next day delivery, and instead they were less than 14. I also set up a FedEx account, and if you print your own label, you can save the recipient even more money. You cannot charge for handling nor the stuff to ship it, nor the gas to take it to the delivery store. If the package costs $14.83, you charge 14.83. It is easiest to have the recipient set up a FedEx account, and then there is zero money transacted due to the recipient paying for the delivery via his account number.

By the way Slack Tide, very nice of you to offer those birds. As you know, many people take for granted the birds they shoot, when in fact, another guy in another place will never lay eyes on one. Like the guys in Texas who got a black duck and a goldeneye. Those are not birds they will ordinarily ever see, and they were pleased as punch to get them.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks Pete.
No sweat. Why do I have to write RBM on the outside? I'd just as soon pack the hell out of it and ship it.
I send my friend some condiments from NY that he can't get in PR all the time...Anything liquid? Glass? Perishable?
NO
NO
NO....why would I get into that?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 am

The name needs to be on the outside of the box to comply with the 50CFR's. I'm not pretending no one does it without, I just do it to comply. FedEx will not sweat you like US Postal will. I assume the Avian Bird Flu is most of the scare? They cannot deny your package, but they do require it to be wrapped well, where it will not leak. If it leaks, I can guarantee it will not make it's destination. FedEx deals with taxidermy stuff all the time, and although they are not flawless, they accomidate to the taxidermst much better than the Federal Post Office will. I still ship both methods. FedEx is cheaper sometimes (especially ground, but overnite packages are probably sill cheaper using USPS. I shipped a package Monday (FedEx), and while waiting in line, a guy sent a package overnite, and it was the size of a box a sweater would come in, and it cost him 70 bucks! My box was 14 ground, and mine was shipping one business day due to its close destination.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am

I've got one of those Styrofoam small coolers that you get steaks in. I'll use that.
Dab-
Sit tight, It's in the freezer. I will get some packing materials together and be in touch.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum