How long??

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

How long??

Postby shocktroop » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:50 pm

If cared for properly, how long can you keep a duck in the freezer before having it mounted. I always fold the head under the wing, put it into a pair of pantyhose to smooth out the feathers, wrap the heck out of it in newspaper, secure it properly, and put it into a chest-style deep-freezer. Was wondering cause I'm getting some amazing birds this season and want a bunch of them mounted that I don't already have a species of, but can't afford to do them all at once.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:02 pm

i have herad of people keeping like deer in frezers for 2 or 3 years waiting to get enough moeny together to mount them .. so i persume it would be about the same with ducks maybe not quite as long becasue they still have the insides and all but i don't know ... i just had a friend mount a bass that had been in his for over 3 becasue he thought aht he lost it and cleaning out his frezer he found it....
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:38 pm

my uncle had a red head in the freezer for 7 years he had it all wrapped up like you talked about. He shot another one and finally had the pair mounted and it looks fine. So as long as you preserve it properly right away you should be good to go for awhile.
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:32 pm

Sounds like a winner, I think I'll get the rest of them done within a year or so. Thanks all!
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:02 pm

As a bird taxidermist, I thought I should give you a bit of advice. First off, you should never wrap it in paper, because it dehydrates the heck out of the bird. The pair of Red Heads may have looked fine, but his taxidermist either struggled immensely or probably replaced the 7 year old bird with another not so old. I used to wrap my ducks in a nylon stocking prior to mounting my own birds, but after mounting my first bird, I realized what kind of abuse they go through during the mounting process, I soon realized that wouldn't be necessary any longer. I would say that three years in the freezer is about max. The best way to wrap up a bird is tightly sealed in an air-tight plastic bag. Just my two cents! Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ihuntducks » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:04 pm

I have to agree. I have over 20 ducks mounted and I learned the first time. DO NOT PUT YOUR BIRD IN PANTYHOSE. My taxidermist is one of the best in California and he said just what Pete said just tuck the head under the wing and put in a Ziplock baggie. I think 3 years is pretty much max, the birds will dry out and get ruined. If you want to see some of his work email me and I will be happyu to send pics. I have got a pair of dead game Mallards. 3 Redheads in a setting, All 3 teal (bluewing and Greenwing getting done now) 3 Eiders flying together, an Oldsquaw, Surf Scoter, Bufflehead, 3 Shovelers in a water setting, a Bluebill coming in for a landing, Specklebelly, A Ross goose, Widgeon and a Hen Goldeneye (getting done now as well). Oh and I almost forgot about my Red Ruddy. his Name is Kevin Moreau, some of you have probably heard of him. He is the best.
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:54 am

I hunt ducks,
Bob Jungman out of Fresno is a world class guy as well! He also will "gift" a bird or two to a guy trying to fill his collection. These are legally shot birds to give away. You do have to pay for postage. He gave me a fully plumed Drake Pintail and Spoonbill, something we can't get here in their breeding colors. If you ever have any extra ducks in good color that you don't want to mount or eat, please let me know if you and I can work something out. The federal government doesn't allow us to sell migratory birds, but they do allow us to give them away. Maybe there is a bird around Wisconsin that you don't get in California. I sure know you guys get some birds there that I would love to get my hands on. I'm trying to get every duck in North America on my wall. I'm 37 years old now, and maybe by the time I leave this world, I may have a pretty good collection. I'm heading to Massachusetts in Jan. to hunt Eider, Scoter, Old Squaw, Brandt, Barrows Goldeneyes, and some Black Ducks. Looking forward to that hunt! Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shocktroop » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:28 pm

Gadwalls, Mallards, Wigeon, Green Wing Teal, Pintails....tons of em here. So far all of them have been in great color. Some better than others, but for the most part all are nice.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby ihuntducks » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Pete,
Who are you hunting with out in MA? hunted there 3 years ago with a guide named Ruben. He was really good. Seaduckhunting.com I think. I shot my Eiders out of a layout boat in about 5 minutes, I also got a trophy Squaw. As far as Bob Jungman goes he is a real good friend of my taxidermist Kevin Moreau. Next time you talk to him mention his name he will know exatly who Kevin is. Good luck hunting in MA. One word of advice...... Take your own shells, I had to jump thru hoops to get ammo over there.
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby ihuntducks » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:31 pm

Pete,
I went over and dropped off some birds today, and talked with my buddy Kevin about Bob. Just so you know....... Kevin mounts ALL of Bob's birds and has mounted yours. Pretty funny huh? He is also the one who supplies Bob with his free ducks. So basically, Kevin has already mounted your ducks. I told you he was the best. If you want to get a hold of him, or anyone else that reads this and wants to get a duck or 2 mounted his name is Kevin Moreau. K-West Taxidermy. 619-596-6807 you wont regret it.
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:18 am

I hunt ducks,
Pretty common in the taxidermy business to get help with one or more of the perticular animals you're mounting. Alot of guys who like to mount big game, can't stand fish etc. As far as mounting my birds goes, Bob only gave me a couple of birds that I mounted for myself. He told me that a few of his buddies gave him most of his extra birds. You can tell Kevin thanks from me, if he was the guy who gave me the Bull Sprig. (via Bob Jungman). It was a perfect specimen! You boys make me envious with your nice colored birds and your season running later than ours. Our season closed Sunday the 5th. What a bummer! Thursday was the last day I could hunt, and we got 22 greenheads. That's how things are around here. Just when things start heating up, is when the season comes to a close. Keep in touch and let me know how your season goes. Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:27 am

I hunt ducks,
I forgot to mention. I'm not hunting with Ruben, I did find his web-site on the internet. He seems to be a straight shooter. We are hunting with a guy who only accomidates to taxidermists, and to be perfectly honest with you I don't have his info with me here at work, so I don't know his name. Another Californian referred him to us. I don't know if you've heard of the name Fiazzo? I can only hope that for 250 dollars a day, I can end up with a trophy Old Squaw. That alone would cap my trip. Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 pm

Pete,
I busted a NICE Oldsquaw in MA, it was perfect. will send you some pics if you want. My friend Kevin did give Bob that Pintail, glad you enjoyed it. Tell ya what, if you can get down to SO. Cal I will get you on a good hunt before our season ends. I belong to a duck club that really heats up in the later part of the season. Let me know,
Bryant
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:28 am

Bryant,
Careful! If offered that hunt next year, I'd probably take you up on that, and make a special trip out there to your "neck of the woods"! I'll let you know how we do out there in Mass. Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pyle30 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:26 pm

since season is now over here in iowa i got a week left to do some goose hunting and plan for my trip to south dekota i am goin the 10th of november it should be fun if any of you guys have any tips for me up there let me know
Without hunting the fall and winter would just be football.
pyle30
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:40 pm

ive heard of birds in freezers for 2-3 years also just put panty hose over it then PUT IT IN A BAG WITH THE TINYIEST AMOUNT OF AIR YOU CAN GET. and ive heard of them preserving 4 years
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby oneshotkill » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:42 pm

ihuntducks wrote: his Name is Kevin Moreau, some of you have probably heard of him. He is the best.

I met him on the beach by my house yesterday. Great guy!
oneshotkill
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum