First Time Mounting. Help Needed ASAP!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First Time Mounting. Help Needed ASAP!

Postby Southpaw615 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

Hello I am looking to just skin a couple of ducks down at camp this weekend and then bring them back to work on mounting over time. It would be best to skin them there so we can have the breasts to eat. What all do I need to properly skin and presevere the skin for a mount?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Blake
Southpaw615
Newb

Re: First Time Mounting. Help Needed ASAP!

Postby youngnick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 am

A good sharp knife will do but its not gonna be easy to keep the skin from drying out. Its kind of a once you start you finish kind of deal.

sent from my mind
youngnick
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

The few people I've seen skin birds, as well as myself, use small surgical scalpels.

As far as preserving the skins while you're at camp, I honestly believe you won't be able to keep them from drying out. I know skins have been kept in freezers for years, but they were encased in a block of ice. I'm thinking, and do not take this as a "yes it will work", that a bucket of water would work for a few days, but I don't know if the skins would spoil or not.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Once you skin them just wet the skins down and freeze. You can thaw them later when you are ready to flesh and mount. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby KGChunter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm

I cut a line up the middle of the breast and fillet out the breast meat leaving the breast bone and everything else. I fold the skin back down and freez it as long as I need to. I dont skin it out until I have several hours to finish the mount.
KGChunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

have you ever completely skinned a bird? If so, proceed as you have in the past. If you haven't, you will certainly have something to learn. I would suggest trying to skin the bird entirely, because a huge breast incision is something I would not desire. Sire it can be sewn, but depending on the species, you will usually have a block of color or some barring to take into consideration when sewing this bird back up. Freezing is best if you have a freezer available? If you don't, then would sacrifice the breast, and leave them whole to stand any chance of keeping these birds without losing feathers due to slipping.

Another question? Is camp where your ducks are in the freezer, or is camp where you are going to hunt? I think season is closed? lol
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum