Blue wing teal poses

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Blue wing teal poses

Postby huntnteen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 pm

I shot a blue-wing teal (rare for my area) and am planning on getting it mounted. I was wondering if you guys could show me some poses that you have done?
huntnteen
hunter

Re: Blue wing teal poses

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm serious when I say this, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around the request? There are so many free images of REAL birds on the internet, why would someone want to see a rendition of a taxidermist with the flaws he will most certainly have rather than a great photograph shot by some fantastic photographers? These pictures are the best you can get, especially concerning ideas that only mother nature can truly provide.

Don't feel bad because of my rant, but it seems to get asked at least three times a week. Don't get me wrong, I love to see what an artist such as a taxidermist can put out, but not as a reference.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntnteen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 pm

it gives an idea of what flaws might be usual or accepted as normal on a pose. I understand where you are coming from, but I would rather look at something i know is possible and bring that to the taxidermist then look at a picture of something only mother nature can provide.... but then again this will be my first time getting a bird mounted, so what do i know....
huntnteen
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:48 pm

I like to see everyone's mounts too, but you can also do an image search of 'blue wing teal mounts' :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 pm

huntnteen wrote:it gives an idea of what flaws might be usual or accepted as normal on a pose. I understand where you are coming from, but I would rather look at something i know is possible and bring that to the taxidermist then look at a picture of something only mother nature can provide.... but then again this will be my first time getting a bird mounted, so what do i know....

I would rather look at something that is flawless, and hope my taxidermist can come close? In other words, you bring an idea of what another taxidermist did, and he will try to complete that piece to the best of his ability. The only thing I can see happening, is the newest version will have flaws on top of the previous taxidermist's rendition (which will most likely have flaws). Now if you're simply looking for taxidermy work just to pass the time, search google images such as "blue-winged teal taxidermy", and you will find some stuff. And in 3.2 seconds, I came up with this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue-win ... 79&bih=970
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:12 pm

I generally flip through my DU or NAHC magazines (I've got several years worth) to find a pose I like...then if I can't find one that jumps out at me, I'll google. If google comes up as a bust, then I'll ask.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum