Help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Help

Postby ALaguaite » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Hey fellas Im new to taxidermy or doing it myself I should say and I have a few ducks to do. Out of 2 redheads, mottled duck, black belly whistler, grey duck and a woodie which one do y'all suggest I do first. And any other beginner advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Re: Help

Postby duxrus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Redheads......because a diver's skin is tougher. The anatomy is a little tougher to get correct (leg placement) but since we are talking about a learning curve anyway I would keep the woodie tucked away for awhile :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Awesome thanks alot! The woodie is gonna be last Deffinitely. The mottled duck I have was shot out of the marsh and was winged and went down. It's wing was kind of infected and had a little odor to it. Is there any way I could get the smell out or is it really not worth it?
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I would "guess" after a good washing in Dawn that the odor should dissapate. I use the APPLE scented and it definitely helps with sea ducks and thier horrid smell. Once you invert the wings and clean them out there shouldn't be much left in there to smell. Odds are it has a nice infection going on. I would suggest using latex gloves on that one just to be on th safe side. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Will do thanks a million! :beer:
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 am

good advice, but Brian and I normally agree on everything! lol

The mottled duck might be the worst of them all though. Seeing how they don't migrate, and are in constant molt, they tend to be the worst of all the ducks to flesh. There is always a trade off with thicker skinned birds versus thinner skinned birds. Under normal conditions, the wood duck will have no viscous fat, making fleshing easier. That doesn't mean their skin isn't thin, it just means the fat removes easier, so it takes less pressure on the wheel to remove the fat in the first place. The redhead for example is probably the best choice, but in my experience, they have pretty damn thin skin as well, and their fat sort of melts off. At least the Texas birds I've done that have that milky white fat on them do.

You didn't mention if you have a flesher or not? I think we would all agree that the number one tool to getting started is a fleshing wheel. I can't see how someone could do an adequate job using scissors and a hand-held tool alone? I know it's an investment to build or buy one, but if you really want to give this a whirl, at least give it a fair shake. Once you find out if you actually can hack it, you are going to have to buy an airbrush anyway, so there is the other larger investment you will spend your money on. Beyond that, supplies are pretty cheap, and many can be bought at art supply stores, or hardware stores, where the price hike will not be added, as you will see at the taxidermy supply companies.

As far as fleshing goes, people have their own methods, so find out what works well for you. You could poll 10 taxidermists, and find ten different methods. I like to skin my birds and freeze them in water. I thaw them out, and I flesh them warm and wet with soapy water. I start at the head, and work my way to the tail. This eliminates the membrane from wrapping around the wheel, and the skin is becoming fat free as you flesh, and the limp (fleshed) skin hangs out of the way as you flesh the remaining skin. That certainly doesn't mean my method is correct, but after many years of experimenting, and acquiring the knack to not burn holes and still have a clean defatted skin, this is where I am today.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

I am going to use a fleshing wheel that I built because I agree that the scissor method can work but it takes longer to flesh the bird out than to skin, paint, wash, and finish the bird and if that fat starts to melt, not good. I started with a mallard and it came out pretty nice and it was not too difficult. I am doing a merganser next and then a red head. Good luck with whatever one you start with. Just make sure the skin is fleshed or in a few weeks you will have an oil slick on the bird.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 am

I actually had no idea about a fleshing wheel lmao. We're can I get one of the fleshers? An I got my first mold from van dykes taxidermy. Would y'all recommend them or someone else. And as far as the black belly whistler goes, the legs have turned almost a white color almost clear actually, how can I restore the color on the legs if at all possible?
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 pm

The flesher can be bought at any taxidermy supply company. You can build one for much less money, but The flesher I bought I would stand behind. It has had its money's worth! That topic has been covers way too many times to elaborate further. just search the archives, and you will find out all the info you need.

All feet get painted, so don't worry about the color in them, because they will be painted anyway. Any mannikin will work, provided it is the right size. I use McKenzie, and those are Ferebee forms I believe? I use Finazzo heads, because they cost less. If your feet are turning color, they might be getting freezer burnt. Make sure they are wrapped in two plastic bags, and air tight as much as possible. remember most household freezers are frost free, therefore they are sucking the moisture out of the bird. Remove the air, and you have a much better chance in keeping these birds longer.

Most of those newbie questions have been covered a million times. Depending on my mood, I will go into detail on the subject, but save us some time, and search the forum before asking a question. The answers are there, and they get revisited all too often. My favorite all time newbie question or statement is: Show me your mounts, I'm looking for ideas, or I have a bird, how should I mount it? I almost cringe every time I hear it!

That doesn't mean we won't help, it just means that you didn't know it, but that question has probably been asked several times. I would post a sticky will all those newbie questions, but no one would read it. I proved that already. lol
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Pete-pec wrote: My favorite all time newbie question or statement is: Show me your mounts, I'm looking for ideas, or I have a bird, how should I mount it? I almost cringe every time I hear it!

Ill remember this before I ask that question again! Lol :lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 am

Awesome thanks alot Pete. Ill look into the fleshing wheels and be sure to check on here before I ask I understand how bein a moderator and seeing it all the time gets aggravating lol.
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 am

Another factor to consider is which one means the most to you because I wouldn't start there. If you keep at it you will inevitably improve.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 am

ALaguaite wrote:Awesome thanks alot Pete. Ill look into the fleshing wheels and be sure to check on here before I ask I understand how bein a moderator and seeing it all the time gets aggravating lol.

Now that doesn't mean we won't answer a question. We normally will. Sometimes our answers will be slightly different, depending on the day! LOL :yes:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Pete is just moody now that season is over.... :hi: :tongue: :hi:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

Brian, just need turkey season and winter to end to get me out of this rut!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ALaguaite » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm having post duck season woes as well. Onl problem is turkey season for us in southern La has been cut down to 2 weeks due to lack of birds. I have 6 toms on my camera so I should be good. :biggrin:
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

I have over a dz Thunder Chickens to mount before season so my hatred toward them should be max'ed out by then. I guess that is why I enjoy shooting them in the face so much :grooving:

We just found out the ranch we hunt in NE got hit by a wildfire back in late summer so that will make for an interesting trip. I plan on wearing a black nija suit and sitting against the few trees that are left. :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

Then it would only be fitting to take one out with a throwing star! Might be the first of the grand slam ninja style!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm

I wonder if there are FAT ninjas ? If not I may have to rethink my outfit :devil:

Throwing stars...you'd play hell crawing around with a pocket full of those..... :eek: :crying: :eek:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Wear white, and go as a sumo then. They are actually revered more highly than a ninja! LOL wouldn't have to worry as much about throwing stars as you would pine cones! LOL
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Then it would only be fitting to take one out with a throwing star! Might be the first of the grand slam ninja style!

You guys ever heard of the guillotine broadhead? It's basically a 4" bladed ninja star that goes on an arrow.
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/91398/a ... eviews.htm
:lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Man that broad head is SICK I shot my second Tom with one and sliced his head clean off.
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 am

Pete-pec wrote:The flesher can be bought at any taxidermy supply company. You can build one for much less money, but The flesher I bought I would stand behind. It has had its money's worth! That topic has been covers way too many times to elaborate further. just search the archives, and you will find out all the info you need.

I have become quite partial to that flesher. Not sure how I will part ways with it? :lol3:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 am

Do you remember how it was when you first started fleshing? Wait until you break in a new brush! Those little stragglers poking out waiting to tear a skin up, or a brush that is slightly different then the one you're used to. You want to build a flesher soon to get acquainted with it, because you will certainly have a new learning curve to contend with. I prefer a soft brush, but normally these new fleshers have a brush made for taking rust off of automotive parts. I know Pat prefers a stacked set, and hard bristles.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am

Yes I like a stiff brush as the soft ones take too long and are more apt to burn holes. Stiff brushes only tear things up! However, a stiff one can rip one to pieces and is something you have to develope a feel for. Not saying I have ever or will ever tear one up, but I've wheeled thousands so have learned some techniques, experience and my limitations. I use a brush I get from Ace Hdw. and always temper it in the direction the wheel turns with a 2x4 to get the bristles bent in the right way. You can fly through a duck or goose with it, but again it takes practice. Many can relate to a bird being snatched away from them and torn to pieces while being wrapped around a fleshing wheel. Great practice for sewing :wink: Another thought is to use a motor that you can quickly stop by hand instead of reaching for an on/off switch. I know a national award winning taxidermist that has a wheel with a brush so stiff it can grind through steel plate and a motor so strong it will break your hand if you try to stop it, but again he is used to it and learned the hard way like many of us as to how to use it. Taxidermy is the thrill of victory over the agony of defeat when working on a project. You always win some and loose some till you get to the point of comfortability and if you strive for perfection you will never reach it, but will always get better as opposed to just accepting what comes.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum