2cnd Bird...

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

2cnd Bird...

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Just finished up this Sprig... Still have some grooming to do on him but some of it is not going to smooth out due to a lot of stitch work from fleshing him in the neck.... I know hes rough fellas but lets here some feedback. Not gonna hurt my feelings... :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Brandon

Sprig1.PNG

Sprig2.PNG
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Re: 2cnd Bird...

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 pm

That blue on the bill isn't right, not the right shade. Looks good other than that. :thumbsup: :beer:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah it dried a lot darker... Going to repaint it.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 am

Maybe its just me, but I think the head/neck looks a little off.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 am

Other than the bill and the neck being a little skinny, looks good. I think the neck just needed a little mass to make it look correct with the head position. I think the back feathers look really nice.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

Like you pointed out, some of that grooming you are going to do isn't going to take some of that not so smooth look out. It looks like you could have dried the bird a bit longer. I don't stop drying the bird until all the downy feathers are fluffy. I may need to spritz the bird's interior skin with water every once in a while to keep the skin from drying hard like leather, but it doesn't hurt a thing to do that. I want my feathers dry, and my skin damp if that makes sense? I leave the head for last, and really don't hit it with the hair drier until I'm just ready to glue the artificial head on. I still want the skin slightly damp in this region as well, just the feathers dry.

On the feet, I would cut individual triangles pieces of carding for the webs, and use a paper clip placing the clip over two triangular pieces. One on the top, and one on the bottom of the webbing. I do this after I have injected the feet with Master's Blend, and after I wash the entire foot down with acetone. I always put the cardboard carding grey (non painted) side on the skin. You can get paint transfer if you use color side down. I'm referring to cereal box type cardboard. The Euro pins are something I would avoid here.

When sewing, make sure you test fit the area that needs stitching. If you move it around enough, you will see there is certainly a pattern to follow. This keeps the feathers from torquing, and adding that non smooth look. If you have a feather out of place after stitching, simply pluck it. It will look way better missing, than out of place.

I don't know why it is, but a very common mistake new taxidermists do, is try to attempt a tough pose first. I know it, because I did it on my first few. You might have an idea of what you want, and then the bird dictates otherwise? Either way, a one legged standing mount isn't the easiest undertaking. You're probably thinking less wires, and therefore less work, but getting balance to look right is tougher than it looks. Your balance isn't too bad though.

The head looks good. The tail although slightly more fanned than I would imagine in real life, looks good too. I can't comment on standing birds and their anatomy, because I don't do standing birds. I guess I will have to do more, but not my preference, and I just don't have room for them. Wall space? Yes. Table space? No.

I don't think the blue will dry correct, and again, painting is something I suck at, so not much I can say really, with no room to talk.

Most importantly, I'm critiquing a second attempt. Your bird looks awesome for that! If I was going to suggest one thing, it would be, stick with a flying bird next, and keep on keeping on. The best move you made was to ask for critiques. I'm a **** when it comes to that. I know what's wrong with my stuff already, and hearing it from someone else only weighs more heavy on me! You on the other hand are leaps and bounds ahead of the average person if you can accept criticism for what it is, which in my opinion is a positive thing, and people like me take it as a negative! :clapping:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for the feed back Pete pec... You are 100 % correct . I was afraid of drying out the skin and therefore did not dry him as good as I would have liked. I will definitely try spritzing the skin next time. I used mineral spirits to do the last clean up on him and used borax to absorb most of the spirits so I know it excelerated the skin drying up on me. I chose a one legged pose because his other leg was shot up not to save time or work.I know a one legged pose is harder than two as far as balance goes. I will use all these critiques and hopefully improve on the next.

Thanks again.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:27 pm

1080tommy wrote:Other than the bill and the neck being a little skinny, looks good. I think the neck just needed a little mass to make it look correct with the head position. I think the back feathers look really nice.

Exactly... I noticed it myself after it was to late. This was a huge bird with a long neck and i should have shortened it up and made it thicker with some cotton or caulk. Thanks for the feedback.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:15 pm

I use mineral spirits as well. Not necessarily as a useful cleaner, but to help in drying. I'm going on record, stating I used to use "gas" as an aid in drying. I have mounted my last few birds just drying it after it is rinsed, and wrung out. It takes longer to dry, but I have that kind of time, and I like the feel of the skin way better water wet versus the gas method. I'm not right, I'm just doing what I like. Every bird I ever did was the mineral spirits bath to help drying. It certainly does, but as I stated, maybe too dry for my liking. I could certainly spritz the skin after a gas bath, but probably easier on me if I don't. Purely personal preference!

I take the skin, the night before, and sew up all the holes, then wrap it in a towel, put it in a big plastic bag, and it wicks away all of the dripping moisture. The next day, I invert the skin, and sprinkle it with borax. Shake off the extra, turn it right side out, and dry it. Never had a problem with pests.....knock on wood! Preferably cedar! LOL
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 pm

I did the opposite on my first bird. I made the neck a little too short but it was a big mallard drake and does not look too bad. Again, as a beginning taxidermist myself with only one bird under my belt, I think you did a great job and I know you will make improvements as hopefully will I and make better quality mounts. Just keep on going and asking for feedback is a great thing. I have gotten some great advice from the forum and all the guys give great and honest feedback which will only help us get better. :thumbsup:
1080tommy
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Absolutely... :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey man, I'm no critic so I'm going to have to say great job, other than the bill but this you know. Good job, If I had that talent the canvas back wouldnt still be in the freezer lol :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Pete-pec wrote:I use mineral spirits as well. Not necessarily as a useful cleaner, but to help in drying. I'm going on record, stating I used to use "gas" as an aid in drying. I have mounted my last few birds just drying it after it is rinsed, and wrung out. It takes longer to dry, but I have that kind of time, and I like the feel of the skin way better water wet versus the gas method. I'm not right, I'm just doing what I like. Every bird I ever did was the mineral spirits bath to help drying. It certainly does, but as I stated, maybe too dry for my liking. I could certainly spritz the skin after a gas bath, but probably easier on me if I don't. Purely personal preference!

I take the skin, the night before, and sew up all the holes, then wrap it in a towel, put it in a big plastic bag, and it wicks away all of the dripping moisture. The next day, I invert the skin, and sprinkle it with borax. Shake off the extra, turn it right side out, and dry it. Never had a problem with pests.....knock on wood! Preferably cedar! LOL

Thanks again for all of the Insight Pete....

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Like you pointed out, some of that grooming you are going to do isn't going to take some of that not so smooth look out. It looks like you could have dried the bird a bit longer. I don't stop drying the bird until all the downy feathers are fluffy. I may need to spritz the bird's interior skin with water every once in a while to keep the skin from drying hard like leather, but it doesn't hurt a thing to do that. I want my feathers dry, and my skin damp if that makes sense? I leave the head for last, and really don't hit it with the hair drier until I'm just ready to glue the artificial head on. I still want the skin slightly damp in this region as well, just the feathers dry.

Pete I just finished my first duck and this quote cleared up alot. I have been trying to get up the courage to post it up but he looks alittle rough. Anyway I will get him up in a few days thats the only way I am going to know for sure where I need to change. But thanks for that bit of inforamtion because there were certain areas that I just could not get to smooth out.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Well we are a friendly bunch, who like to help. This forum may be unlike the rest in that respect, but we are all learning. So the guys a little further along should help the guys who have just started. Don't be afraid to show your bird. We won't beat you up too bad. You will learn more by asking, and showing a piece will give us more to look at to get a better idea. It took me ten years to post up my first bird! I still don't post much out of embarrassment. That means that at whatever point you are at in learning, you should be striving to be better. That goes for the guys at the base, all the to the top of the taxidermy pyramid!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah I know you guys are great over here and all the post I have read are very helpful. DHC has been been a great place to learn about a alot things from Taxidermy to Dogs. And When I am in the mood to get slapped around alittle I visit the HH there is always something good stirred up over there. :lol3:
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 am

[quote="Pete-pec"]Like you pointed out, some of that grooming you are going to do isn't going to take some of that not so smooth look out. It looks like you could have dried the bird a bit longer. I don't stop drying the bird until all the downy feathers are fluffy. I may need to spritz the bird's interior skin with water every once in a while to keep the skin from drying hard like leather, but it doesn't hurt a thing to do that. I want my feathers dry, and my skin damp if that makes sense? I leave the head for last, and really don't hit it with the hair drier until I'm just ready to glue the artificial head on. I still want the skin slightly damp in this region as well, just the feathers dry.

Another thing could be what is on the inside. If the skin isn't cleaned and defatted well it makes feather groomong next to impossible as certain feather groups will knot up and not lay correctly. In order for feathers to lay smoothly nothing on the inside can hinder that like fat, or any membrane that holds the feather butts. Early on I was quite guilty of getting in a hurry to be on the outside of a bird before I had the inside ready to continue. Just a thought.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:
Pete-pec wrote:Like you pointed out, some of that grooming you are going to do isn't going to take some of that not so smooth look out. It looks like you could have dried the bird a bit longer. I don't stop drying the bird until all the downy feathers are fluffy. I may need to spritz the bird's interior skin with water every once in a while to keep the skin from drying hard like leather, but it doesn't hurt a thing to do that. I want my feathers dry, and my skin damp if that makes sense? I leave the head for last, and really don't hit it with the hair drier until I'm just ready to glue the artificial head on. I still want the skin slightly damp in this region as well, just the feathers dry.

Another thing could be what is on the inside. If the skin isn't cleaned and defatted well it makes feather groomong next to impossible as certain feather groups will knot up and not lay correctly. In order for feathers to lay smoothly nothing on the inside can hinder that like fat, or any membrane that holds the feather butts. Early on I was quite guilty of getting in a hurry to be on the outside of a bird before I had the inside ready to continue. Just a thought.

Exactly Pat... I thought about that as well, but this bird was fleshed out to the T... That's why I had so many holes to sow up... Lol hopefully my fleshing will get better once I get a wheel. This whole bird was fleshed out with scissors and a brass brush all the way down to the feather buts and blue skin. I told myself It doesn't matter how good or bad this mount turns out...if I know it is not clean, it won't mean a thing to me or anybody else who looks at it.Thanks for the food for thought though. :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Scissors will at times cut the feather butts off as well and causing another problem with smoothness. You have a great mindset for what you are doing and I applaud you for your tenacity. Keep up the good work.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks Pat I appreciate that... I didn't even think about that. Now that you mention that I probably did damage some feather butts with the scissors. I got a shoveler thawing out as we speak so hopefully I can be a bit more careful with the scissors until I get a flesher. Again thanks for the kind words and feedback Pat.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:Thanks Pat I appreciate that... I didn't even think about that. Now that you mention that I probably did damage some feather butts with the scissors. I got a shoveler thawing out as we speak so hopefully I can be a bit more careful with the scissors until I get a flesher. Again thanks for the kind words and feedback Pat.

I'm going on record calling the shoveler the worst skin to flesh! People talk about wood ducks? I'll gladly flesh any bird, but in my book, the shoveler has the thinnest skin. There are birds that are good and bad for many reasons. Some have thin less viscous fat, some thin skin, some tough as leather, some full of tough membrane. You will find your favorites. Mine would be a ruddy for many reasons, and beauty wouldn't be one of them, unless it's a summer bird, and I still haven't found a season? :huh: :wink:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum