Repairing primary feathers???

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Repairing primary feathers???

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

I just got the merganser that I will be mounting as a flying mount. The last and largest primary feather on the end of the wing is almost broken in half and what I am wondering is if there is a technique to repair the feather. I mean even if I did a standing mount, it would be noticeable. I know that I could pose the duck differently to have that wing in the rear of the mount but just wondering, what if somebody wants a position and a feather is broken? It stinks because it is literally the only feather in bad shape.
1080tommy
hunter

Re: Repairing primary feathers???

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Take a very thin wire, and push half of the wire in the rachis of the quill, and then the other end in the piece that's nearly detached. I would cut the feather quill at an angle on both ends so the feather vanes line up at that angle. It will be less noticeable cut at that sam angel as the vanes align. Put that wing towards the wall. You will have to dab a bit of glue on each end of the wire to make sure they stick. I've done it on turkey feathers with pretty good luck. Or, don't worry about it. it was a shot bird, and not one that fell from the sky that died of heart failure right? lol
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Yep, you got it, he did not die of heart failure. That is a great idea and will try that for this bird. Thanks for the advice on several fronts. :thumbsup:
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Here to help. Honestly, that question can now be archived. I'm not sure that one has been asked?!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah I tried to search and figured someone may have ran into that before. I am surprised you are not a licensed taxidermist because some of the pics you post look extremely detailed and great quality. I hope that my mounts can come out that good eventually.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm on a journey in this hobby. We are all at different levels, and although my work may look ok, I'm certainly not satisfied. A license is only a necessary tool to sell your product legally. Since I'm not ready or satisfied enough to let something leave my home, I will just continue to do this as a hobby. I have a great day job, and likewise a great hobby. I want to keep both as they are. If I was to charge someone for the product I would put out, I think I would stress myself out too much to appreciate what I currently have.

Thanks for the kind words, but my journey is still in motion.

I think I need to visit Pat. He tutored his very good friend Ramsey's Son Forrest, and that kid puts out work better than 70% of the taxidermists do, and I think he's like 16. He's only been doing it for a very short time, and I am stunned at the level he's at at his young age and lack of experience!

My next phase in my journey would be to pony up, and pay to see what those masters do. I am 100% self taught. Meaning I've grabbed every piece of free information provided, tried it, twisted it, and still come up short. I am learning, will continue to learn, and with my OCD behavior, will never be quite satisfied! :)
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Pete all dressed up for his journey....
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Well we would make a good team. You in your ninja suit or sumo diaper, and me in my pimp outfit! Them bitches get nothin'!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah I would never think of charging anyone and even though my mallard came out well, like you I am not satisfied because I see all the imperfections that most people over look. I showed my cousin and uncle my mallard and they said it looks very professional but I know better. I really like taxidermy as a hobby and don't think I would ever really want a to do it for money because again like you, I would be too stressed over the quality of my work. It is a great hobby and a good way to pass the time in the off season. Next year I have to keep more that a few ducks for mounting because I only kept my mallard and two other ducks. I have learned a lot from you guys and appreciate all of the diligent work you put into your hobbies. I only hope to be able to produce some quality work as I go along.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm sure you'll do fine.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum