Would this be a decent first fleshing setup.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Would this be a decent first fleshing setup.

Postby allnighter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm

I have been looking for something to use for fleshing and some other tools so I can get started. I dont want to go to all out on the first setup but it is adjustable with the flex drill attachment.http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grin ... 43533.html The only thing that real would bother me is the size.
Thanks for any input.
allnighter
hunter

Re: Would this be a decent first fleshing setup.

Postby rivercountry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:58 am

I bulit this one for less than $30.00.
Materials
1.30 gallon barrell
2.exuast fan motor 1300RPM with a clockwise rotation
3.switch and switch box
4.6ft drop cord
5.fine brush from a taxidermy supply co.

I had most of the materials just laying around the shop so it may cost you alittle more. I only had to buy the brush and have my arbor shaft machined.Brush was $17.00 and the arbor was $10.00. Maybe this will help you out.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm

good post River Country!

You can certainly build one for far less. I would not use a bench grinder. I looked up my motor one time, and I think it was like forty bucks. I think it's pushing 1770 rpm's? It's a small motor. I have a switch as well, and it sits in a wood box with a plexiglas removable top on it, that I mount a light over. I bought mine from Rinehart taxidermy, and they cost like 400 bucks now. I would build one again if I ever had to replace it, but at this point I have everything there, and the only thing that would ever need replacing would be the motor. I would build the box out of a drum or plastic for darn sure for easier clean up. Mine is oak, which I line with paper before fleshing. Then I simply remove the paper and duck butter in one fell swoop.

I suggest getting a motor fast enough to take off fat, and small enough to stop with your hand. The thing to remember is the membrane is normally what will wrap around the shaft. If you start at the head, and flesh to the tail, you are removing those chances of strands by using this method. Pat Pitt is the guy who made this point, I tried it, and it worked great. Now it's the way I do it, and I am spreading the word. If the skin gets wrapped up, let it go, don't panic! Turn off the switch, and normally it doesn't do any damage. The problem is when you try to hold it from leaving your hands. My shaft has a cover over it, but there is still 3/4 of an inch that has a spinning shaft showing. This is where the nut tightens the wheel to the shaft. It will still grab a bird from your hands, if your are not careful.

I do think that if you are going to make the plunge, and invest in one single tool, that this is the one (unfortunately the first one) that is a must in my opinion. This fleshing can be the single most difficult thing about processing the bird. You might find you get discouraged quick, if you don't have the equipment to do it easier?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks Pete I like the barrel it cleans up really easy. I am going to try starting at the neck I took alot the birds we killed this year and practiced with my wheel. I have the most trouble around the vent area and between the thighs. That is where I make holes if I make any. The machine sure does a better job than scissors or a brass brush and it was a few hours well spent building it.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

River, do you flesh with a dripping wet skin? I wash mine after fleshing in soapy water. I freeze it soapy, and warm. Then flesh it another day. I pull it out the night before, put it in water that is slightly cooler than warm. I pull it out of the water, invert the entire skin, legs, wings, and neck and head. I squeeze out most if the water, and flesh away. The vent or the incision is simply follow the feather tracts, and go with the grain. Let the flesher do the work. Hold the skin limp with slack, not tight. Let the flesher eat the fat away slowly, and you'll have much greater success in fleshing.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 pm

No I have never try that does it work better? I have just skinned the the bird out and started fleshing spritzing alittle during the process to keep moist. If it will make it easier I am game for it though.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 am

When wheeling, try it wet with some Dawn. The "bubbles" seem to reduce the friction to minimize "burning through the skin" and also keep the mess to a minimum. :thumbsup:

Pete, you need to send the the motor and wheel set up for a bigger flesher (Geese, swans, turkeys). I am electronically challanged :fingerhead: . I want one with some azz behind it. My current motor barley gets the job done on the larger birds because about the time you start "grinding down " on the thick fat the wheel will give out. Great on ducks and upland but really a pain on the BIG boys. I am wanting another set up for those and have room to put it next to my smaller one. I can do the box/barrel building....just need the motor/wheel part ready to go....

Anyone want to help a brotha out :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 am

Rivercountry, where could i find a motor like that?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am

duxrus wrote:When wheeling, try it wet with some Dawn. The "bubbles" seem to reduce the friction to minimize "burning through the skin" and also keep the mess to a minimum. :thumbsup:

Pete, you need to send the the motor and wheel set up for a bigger flesher (Geese, swans, turkeys). I am electronically challanged :fingerhead: . I want one with some azz behind it. My current motor barley gets the job done on the larger birds because about the time you start "grinding down " on the thick fat the wheel will give out. Great on ducks and upland but really a pain on the BIG boys. I am wanting another set up for those and have room to put it next to my smaller one. I can do the box/barrel building....just need the motor/wheel part ready to go....

Anyone want to help a brotha out :thumbsup:

Yea, an eider is even a lot for the fleshers we have. I really wonder if it would be both motor and wheel replacement? I've used fleshers that have a much stiffer wire, and still a smaller motor, and the work good for skins like a turkey? Then again, you have to let the motor cool before completion. I don't do turkeys. That was helping out another taxidermist. Have you tried fleshing with a pressure washer? The one thing I always did when fleshing turkeys on the wheel which is a pain in the ass, was taking a scalpel and cutting the membrane between the quilts individually. It helped immensely, but really really stretches the skin, and adds a ton of time to the process.

Get yourself a bench grinder! LOL
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

callumcuffumkillum wrote:Rivercountry, where could i find a motor like that?

Maybe a plumbing supply. That motor came off water fountain cooling fan. I just removed the fan from the shaft and had a arbor machine to fit the the motor shaft and brush.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Dux I will try that for sure.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Pete,

I use a "hard" wheel already. I started with a soft one but feel comfortable enough to use the stiffer one now. A turkey would laugh at a soft version. I thought about the pressure washer but don't think the neighborhood is ready for a crazy person flinging "snot" all over the yard.... :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Chigger22 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I purchased my motor for my home made flesher at graingers, I also purchased a flexible 1/4" shaft coupler to couple my wheel to the motor shaft. Mounted in a plastic tote. I'm new to fleshing so a little forgiveness during this process feels better for me. Hope this helps, also try YouTube guy shows you how made his.
Chigger22
Newb

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 am

how powerful does the motor need to be, decided i would try and find one and throw a flesher together
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 am

i was thinking maybe a fan motor? already has a plug and speed control but might not be enough
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum