Air brush setup?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Air brush setup?

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 am

I've been working on mounting birds the past year so I'm still a newby, up until now i haven't worried about painting the bills or feet. Ive just concentrated on the actual mounting process and body position. Ive gotten to the point where i would like to finish some of the birds and looking to by an airbrush kit. Any suggestion on a cheap but good starter kit. Just need it for the feet and bill, will also be using it to paint some of my burlap decoys. Let me know what yall think, i know nothing about them so i need to get the whole deal. Also does anywhere sell paint kits for certain types of ducks. I wouldnt have a clue what colors to order.
Thanks much guys, Josh
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Air brush setup?

Postby duxrus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm

I use a double action Aztek....the kit runs about 140.00ish.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

Brian, You think he's ready for a double action? I personally don't own a double, but I've tried them, and I just don't have the skill to use it. If a double is what you're after, and yes, they are supposed to be easier and better than a single, I have heard great things from Iwata Air bush kits. You said cheap, but these are not. I have a Paasch and they are cheap, but they work fine to a point. They don't have pinpoint heads on them. In other words you try to spray a dot,and it will be larger than a finer tip, and it will have some overspray. One thing no one wanted to let me know about spraying lacquers, is to thin the paint down with lacquer thinner much more than the paint arrives. This will relieve some of the splatter you will see when painting thick paint. Trust me Lifetone paints are too thick out of the bottle and brand new. I thin mine down at least double, and more closer to triple. It will still spray the paint, you just have to make sure when painting coats of different paints that you don't start to make the undercoat run from the newest paint, and the fact that there is thinner in that newest paint. Lacquers when applied at the right pressure and texture or thinness, will dry pretty darn quick. I spray at 30 to 40 psi. I also let my paints completely dry between coats, and mask off areas that are just plain too tough for me to get a sharp line or the detail I am looking for. Simply paint from light to dark in most cases. Also wipe your heads down with acetone before applying your base coat. I usually apply a white or grey coat as a base. Another thing I do, when it concerns detail, is paint with a brush for those tiny spots. I think nostrils with overspray look worse than a nostril painted with a fine tip camel-haired brush. Same goes for spots and super thin lines. That's just my opinion, but I have to paint the way I do for lack of skills and lack of practice. I shake like hell, and do not have the dexterity to paint those fine smooth lines? Funny thing is, I'm as steady as a rock, right up to the point I have to paint fine detail. Something I've been doing now, is painting over the top of my lacquers with a water based satin clear coat. It sort of blends those sharp lines together, and makes the colors sort of pop. Brian uses Modge Podge for the same reason.

Whatever you choose for paints, have good ventilation, or a painting booth. I do not have a booth, so I paint outside with my lacquers, and I wear a full face respirator with good organic Hepa filters. You need to replace these filters often, because they do not have a great shelf life. It helps to remove the filters and put them in a ziplock bag, but that is not recommended by the manufacturer of course! You are going to need a third hand when painting these feet and bills. I suggest making up a stand that you can attach your bird's base to, and swivel it around when painting. Since you have already mounted your birds, and have to paint them on the mount itself, you obviously need to mask off the feathers. Paper towel, and painters tape works for me. I probably have 25 birds that need their feet painting. That's how much I like to paint! :no:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks for all the great information. I'm in college now and my birthday is in March, Im planning to ask for one for my birthday and jumping on it this summer. Not much time right now. I also have about 2 dozen carved and burlaped decoys I made that I haven't painted yet so its going to be a busy summer. Thanks again for the help, I will likely be in touch again!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby dablaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 pm

I get mine at harbor freight for under 20 buck and alot of times on sale for 12.99.. They are double action and you will be suprised what a decent airbrush these are.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum