Often asked questions.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Often asked questions.

Postby Pete-pec » Tue May 06, 2014 9:15 pm

It's all preference. I prefer to have my skin ready in towel in the fridge, the night before the mount. I will have all the holes stitched up where caulk can leak (head, neck, breast, wings, and larger dime-sized holes). The next morning I borax, dry with air compressor. Run wires, and mount bird. I like a fresh skin. I never dry the head and most of the neck until detail work like inserting the head. Basically last thing I do. An air compressor is an amazing tool for many reasons.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 am

I skin and flesh, wash, degrease, rinse....refreeze

Get frozen skin out the night before and rinse again just before starting the drying procedures. I feel that refreezing the skin toughens them up somewhat and tend to not have skins ripping as I mount the bird like issues I had way back when before doing so.
duxrus
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:12 am

duxrus wrote:Who does "good" work....

This might not be posted but more of a thought by people. Here are some rules on that...

NEVER just take a taxidermist on his word..."Yes, I do great ducks"

NEVER just take someone else's opinion...there are many different definitions of "good", "great", "awsome"

SEE someone's work with your own eyes and YOU decide

NEVER accept work that you feel is unacceptable "shotty" work. Let the taxidermist know so they can possibly correct an issue. Once you pay and walk out their door it isn't their problem.

NEVER go for a "deal".....if price is your majory concern then quality isn't hven't even read the rest of this post but this one speaks volumes great advice

Just because someone can mount the best deer in the world far from means they have a clue about mounting something other than a deer.

Don't be lazy and just choose the closest taxidermist to save time if you truly care about the end result.

I hope this helps. :welcome:
alanwebfoot
hunter

Previous

Return to Taxidermy Forum