A few I recently worked on.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

A few I recently worked on.

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Well, I rarely ever post any of my stuff, because of fear of criticism, but as I tell the newbies, you can't be worried what others think, if you are already aware of your imperfections. I am much harder on myself than anyone else can be, and that's half the reason I don't hack up anyone else's work. The eider and the shoveler just completed drying, and I still have those damn feet to paint (along with thirty others lol). The ring-necked duck is a bird we shoot here in Wisconsin, but will never see one in full color (Ok, maybe April lol). This bird is still drying, and has tape and wire still exposed. The Waterfowler was nice enough to gift me a bird when I asked him. I know many of you would never think of mounting a bird you didn't shoot, especially shelling out your own money, but after a while of mounting your own birds, and they may fall short of good plumage, you have to hunt other places, or ask a friend for a gift. Thanks again Pat! That bird was perfect, and although the picture looks s bit goofy, I'm happy with it. That doesn't happen very often with us OCD type people!

I took some real pretty pictures with the rebel EOS, but they take so damn long to convert those large images to images that will be accepted on this website, I decided the cell phone was way easier. Definitely not as eye-appealing, but certainly quicker! Bird taxidermy is just a hobby, but after taking some camera shots with my daughter's Rebel, I could see that becoming another undertaking I would consider?
Attachments
536907_487641391273534_970017648_n.jpg
379176_487641294606877_878523331_n-1.jpg
32154_487645924606414_1245177735_n-1.jpg
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin


Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Nice work!! :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Looks good pete! I'd hang a bird you mounted on my wall anytime. I'd say you're too hard on yourself, but that's what drives a guy to improve - so keep topping yourself every bird you do.

I wish I could even say I've had the time to get out to the garage. :lol:
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:26 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Looks good pete! I'd hang a bird you mounted on my wall anytime. I'd say you're too hard on yourself, but that's what drives a guy to improve - so keep topping yourself every bird you do.

I wish I could even say I've had the time to get out to the garage. :lol:


Thanks guys, you're too kind, But no kidding, where have you been? You show that first bird, and the bust mount (YEARS AGO), and they were great, and then you disappear? Take some time would you? I'm a fan of your work as well!
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby 1080tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Great work. I really like the bottom two!!!!!
1080tommy
hunter
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Well, I was going to comment on these but it said under the "commom questions asked" to keep my mouth shut :tongue:


I guess a certain someone needs to post more pictures in the future :thumbsup: The overall look of the Eider is PERFECT and I can hear a saftey clicking off. :clapping:
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

duxrus wrote:Well, I was going to comment on these but it said under the "commom questions asked" to keep my mouth shut :tongue:


I guess a certain someone needs to post more pictures in the future :thumbsup: The overall look of the Eider is PERFECT and I can hear a saftey clicking off. :clapping:


I can take it Brian. I respect your opinion….after all, it mirrors my own 99% of the time! :wink: :yes:

By the way, Thanks! I copied a picture from the internet on a landing drake eider, and I crossed it with a recent DU cover photo of a landing white-fronted goose.
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:12 pm

very nice Pete... Love the eider and the Ringer
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Pete-pec wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Looks good pete! I'd hang a bird you mounted on my wall anytime. I'd say you're too hard on yourself, but that's what drives a guy to improve - so keep topping yourself every bird you do.

I wish I could even say I've had the time to get out to the garage. :lol:


Thanks guys, you're too kind, But no kidding, where have you been? You show that first bird, and the bust mount (YEARS AGO), and they were great, and then you disappear? Take some time would you? I'm a fan of your work as well!

Thanks pete. M y excuse is lack of time but I guess the real answer is not making the time. Hows everybody in the taxi forum been? I don't know if I posted this, but I have a friend who went to Africa and shot a warthog. He had me mount the tusks on an artificial repro skull. It came out pretty good.
uploadfromtaptalk1360552988578.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360552968369.jpg

I also made a trip to Canada in September, my first, and it was awesome.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Welcome back 3Leg :hi:
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Hey Brian! How ya been?

Sorry for mucking up your thread pete. :lol:
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 pm

This is our forum, therefore our thread. Nice warthog!
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Pete-pec wrote:This is our forum, therefore our thread. Nice warthog!

He shot 8 animals, 2 of which warthogs, and the tusks were the only trophies he brought home. After he told me they had been sitting in a ziploc bag in his desk drawer for two years I talked into letting me do something with them.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 am

That Eider looks frozen in time. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: A few I recently worked on.

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:47 am

That African hunt although a good deal has never appealed to me. Shame he only brought home that single trophy though?

Thanks bill. I just took it out of the freezer, so I must have nailed it!? :yes:
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin


Return to Taxidermy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests