Where To Get Barnwood

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Where To Get Barnwood

Postby gahunter706 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm looking to build a wood duck box for the base of my next mount, a wood duck pair, and need some tips as to where to get some good looking barnwood. I've got some good looking cedar boards at my house from when I built a fence, but they are only 5" wide and I want to go full size on the box. Do yall just ask around till you find somebody with some old boards or is there a place you can order a couple boards for a box? I thought about buying some 1x10" cedar boards from Lowes and setting them outside to weather, but how long would this take? Thanks in advance.
gahunter706
hunter

Re: Where To Get Barnwood

Postby Pintail65 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 pm

You could ask around and see if you couldnt find some old wood. I have sometimes found some old wood online for sell but its mostly from old fences. Finding some big wide old wood i think would be a challenge. When i want old wood i just rip apart a pallet because my dad gets a lot for his work, i just go out and sort through them until i find a really old one with awesome looking wood. As for getting wider pieces i dont know what to tell you. You can weather your own wood but if you just let it sit outside and weather naturally it would probably take several months given the weather conditons to start weather it may take up to a year in my opinion. You can however make your wood look old with the proper technique and tools. There are actually several videos on how other people do this, you could check it out. Best of luck
Pintail65
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 pm

On the size of your box.....I would suggest down sizing it from what a "real" wood duck box is...they are HUGE. I have a friend make downsized ones for mounts. Unless you are a professional wood duck box maker you wouldn't notice the difference. :lol3:

If you "age" boards I suggest mudding them down along with putting nails here and there to get a nice rust stain added for realism. Down here you can age wood fairly quickly during summer months when they will bake in the HOT sun. Just wash off the mud if the rain hasn't and poof, you have a nice "old" pile of wood in a month or so. I use the real deal since old barns aren't that hard to find around here. There again I just buy boxes for 45.00 and don't have to even worry about anything other than putting bird on them... :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna get a 1x8" piece of cedar from the store and use the mud/sun to weather it. It has already been getting up in the 70s here so hopefully it will age in a month or two. Also, on the size of the box, I am gonna cut the size down to about 15" tall because like you said, regular size boxes are huge, I just want something a little wider than a 5" fence picket.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I would also suggest leaving the back open while you work on it so it give you an easy way to connect internal wires. I just cut a piece of thick cardboard, paint it black, and close the back up once done. Boxes add a "cool" factor to a mount since everyone recognizes a wood duck box. Good luck and we will be awaiting pic's :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm having the mount done by a taxidermist, so I'll talk to him before I build the box to see if he wants me to leave the back off or put a hinged door. I hope to have the mount back sometime this summer, I have a mount being done now that should be done in a few weeks, and I'm going to drop of the woodies when I pick the other one up. Thanks for the help!
gahunter706
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Maybe from an old barn? :huh:
duckman27
hunter

Postby bullfries » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

I built a plaque for some deer skulls and used an old skid for the wood, if you keep an eye out you can find some made out of oak that work great.
bullfries
hunter

Postby badgerfowl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

For mine I used an actual house that we had up for around 10 years. It was certainly weathered! It's big, no doubt, but it doesn't stick out any further than my other mounts.

badgerfowl
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 am

BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum