Birthday Widgeon...

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Birthday Widgeon...

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 am

Spent my 32 B-day in the garage today drinking some beer and mounting a bird followed by some dinner and bowling with friends. Pretty good day. Mounted this bird mojo style and am happy with him but know his flaws. After pic i straightened pins on tail and adjusted wings a bit, not enough to notice, but damn this OCD of mine. Left side of tail was shot up pretty bad, made due with what was left. I know i used euro pins on the feet like a dummy, i need to go buy some paper clips. Please critique as this is my fourth bird and in my opinion these critiques are making me a better taxi. :beer:

Thanks,

Brandon

widgeon1.JPG

widgeon2.PNG

widgeon3.PNG

widgeon4.JPG

widgeon5.JPG
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Re: Birthday Widgeon...

Postby duckman27 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:08 am

Looks good! :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 am

Wow that is some great work I wish my 4th 8th and 10th bird looked that good. :clapping: Did you inject the feet? Plump fleshy looking feet really add a lot to the mount.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks guys... Yup feet are injected... Bird was frozen for awhile so they were shriveled up pretty good.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Happy birth day and the duck looks great!
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:17 pm

OK, let's be real! Who is helping you? It's obvious you've had some direction, and a knack for artistic composition, but this is not the work of a self taught person's 4th bird!

Happy birthday, but something smells fishy? :huh:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cwilson » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice bird & a cool pose!!
cwilson
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks Pete... No help or direction on last three birds except from Internet critiques and helpful feed back from you and a couple other guys. I did do my first bird under the watch of another taxi. But I did 100% of the work. I built a flesher myself and have used it successfully on the last two birds. I've just been doing a lot of research and reading. But I will take all of this as a compliment... Lol :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Well it surly helped to have a guide on your first, but it was certainly meant as a compliment. I feel no need to help you any longer. You, the student, has now surpassed the teacher! You suck ass! LOL That pose looks pretty similar to the hen eider I just posted and I really like that landing bird!

Dude, you are well on your way to be taking that next step, and taking customers. You don't need me to give you critiques. You already know what you need to do next time, and that's way ahead of most taxidermists. What did you do to puff out those cheeks, and was that the real head, and how did the eye ring go? It looks very good! Maybe legs a bit longer, but that is just me being pissed off, and I felt the need to knock you down a notch! :mad: :wink: :yes:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Lol! Thanks Pete. Yeah I loved that pose of your Eider. I wanted make him look like he was just getting ready to touch down. I ended up scrapping the eyes last minute, you were right they were to wide. So I just set them in clay and tucked the lids. I used an artificial head and built the cheeks up with clay and caulk.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words.

Ps I'm still gonna hit you up for help lol :beer:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:22 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:Lol! Thanks Pete. Yeah I loved that pose of your Eider. I wanted make him look like he was just getting ready to touch down. I ended up scrapping the eyes last minute, you were right they were to wide. So I just set them in clay and tucked the lids. I used an artificial head and built the cheeks up with clay and caulk.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words.

Ps I'm still gonna hit you up for help lol :beer:

That doesn't mean I'm helping you any longer though? You don't need to ask any more questions, I'll be hitting you up instead.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chris305 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:37 pm

That bird looks great! I'll be starting my first one this week. If you don't mind me asking what did you use to make your flesher.
chris305
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks man... as far as the flesher goes you are going to hear alot of different things that work(motors, what RPM's/HP, what wire wheels to use ect.) I just built mine cheap (under 60 dollars). Keep in mind this is what works for me and may not work for you and vise versa and im sure other guys have better set ups and more dialed in on specifications. But i built mine in a simple MDF box that I can mount a light to with a 1/20 1500 rpm electric motor with a fine brush wire wheel. Some guys use more than one wheel, some dont. But this has worked well for me so far. I line the would box with news paper when i can remember and it makes clean up alot easier. I believe i stole that idea from Pete....hope this helps.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

If that is only your fourth bird you need a change in profession! That thing looks awesome! VERY cool body position, never seen one just like that, i think i might have to copy :thumbsup:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby chris305 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 am

sprigpig1 wrote:Thanks man... as far as the flesher goes you are going to hear alot of different things that work(motors, what RPM's/HP, what wire wheels to use ect.) I just built mine cheap (under 60 dollars). Keep in mind this is what works for me and may not work for you and vise versa and im sure other guys have better set ups and more dialed in on specifications. But i built mine in a simple MDF box that I can mount a light to with a 1/20 1500 rpm electric motor with a fine brush wire wheel. Some guys use more than one wheel, some dont. But this has worked well for me so far. I line the would box with news paper when i can remember and it makes clean up alot easier. I believe i stole that idea from Pete....hope this helps.

I'm going to attempt to make one today. I'm going to try a fan motor. Thanks for the help.
chris305
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:20 am

chris305 wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:Thanks man... as far as the flesher goes you are going to hear alot of different things that work(motors, what RPM's/HP, what wire wheels to use ect.) I just built mine cheap (under 60 dollars). Keep in mind this is what works for me and may not work for you and vise versa and im sure other guys have better set ups and more dialed in on specifications. But i built mine in a simple MDF box that I can mount a light to with a 1/20 1500 rpm electric motor with a fine brush wire wheel. Some guys use more than one wheel, some dont. But this has worked well for me so far. I line the would box with news paper when i can remember and it makes clean up alot easier. I believe i stole that idea from Pete....hope this helps.

I'm going to attempt to make one today. I'm going to try a fan motor. Thanks for the help.

I don't think a fan motor is going to cut it, unless you're talking about an industrial type exhaust fan? A fan motor on a fan designed to cool your bedroom is going to overheat. Get yourself something like mine. A 1/10th HP motor running at around 1700 rpm. Here's a list of motors, but don't be cheap on this item. This is the heart of the flesher.

http://surpluscityliquidators.com/type_ ... lear_all=1

A wire wheel and an arbor to connect the wheel to the shaft. Make sure you have the closest shaft to fit the arbor and wheel when picking out a motor:

http://www.matuskataxidermy.com/search. ... age=search

The box or and support is up to your imagination. I would suggest a light switch to turn the motor on and off, and have it in a handy spot for quick shutdown. A nice clear tub to allow light in is best. If you can mount a light over the hood, and also keep the splatter from flying everywhere, that would be best. Here's a selection of totes that are clear, that would be useful. They might be pricy, but assembly is way easier with a box already established, and cleanup would be a piece of cake. A frame built to support this and the motor could be assembled out of cheap 2X4's and some plywood to keep the tub level. The more light allowed in, the better you will see what you are doing. You will need your full attention on these first go-rounds for dan sure. There's a huge learning curve to fleshing.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/storage-o ... 28_976939/

If I was to buy my flesher today at TASCO, it would be over $400. If I could build one for half the price, I might consider making one. You can certainly build one or half the price, and much cheaper depending on what you have laying around?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Make sure your arbor threads the opposite way of the rotation of the motor. Good luck.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I believe that arbor has two set screws that lock the shaft of the motor to the shaft of the flesher wheel's shaft. Then two nuts that tighten the wheel in place on that threaded shaft.

Certainly a question I would ask the retailer though. Good point.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:38 pm

That thing looks like its going to start breathing fire.

Awesome.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks brother... I really appreciate all the kind words guys.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum