A question for the Experts here.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

A question for the Experts here.

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

I've been mounting birds for about 45 years. I started out with some lessons from the old Northwestern School of Taxidermy that someone gave me. As you can imagine, the methods were pretty crude by comparison to today's methods. Over the years, the methods and whatever refinements I'd read were "good enough". Now, being retired, I find myself with more time and little to do. So, this past year I laid in a stock of birds that I'm going to mount over the spring and summer. I'm going to concentrate on improvement in areas where I've been "lacking".

The first is going to be injecting the feet. From reading here, I gather that Master Blend is the way to go. I've found a supplier on line and am going to order some shortly. So it comes down to two questions. Where do you fellows get the needles? and what is the process for injecting the feet? How much is injected? Does the stuff shrink back after it dries? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: A question for the Experts here.

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:58 pm

You can get needles from a local vet clinic or farm store. As far as your other questions, I don't know yet.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm

I got my supplies this year from Mckenzie and they had syringes for a pretty reasonable price as well as needles to go with them.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Get them from Publix for .19 cents each. I buy them by the box of 100.
duxrus
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I put about a cc of MIXED in each toe= .5 cc of each if you inject them into the toe separately. I put about 2-3 cc into the heal and up the leg. Stays solid and plump when it dries.
tam9492
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

If you keep the Masters Blend in the refridgerator it won'r kick as quick and gives you a little more time to get it injected. I use disposable 3 cc syringes and a 20 ga. needle. Can be bought at most pharmacies, etc. I inject the toes to the desired plumpness and stop up the hole with a straight pin. Ame for the heel and leg. Will set up quickly. Another thing I do is put plastic under the feet if it is a standing bird. Trust me, sooner or later you will make a mess. Use rubber gloves and wear safety glasses. For some reason it there is a hole it will always be pointed at your face!!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:15 am

there is a post in the tutorials section that shows you how to do this. i find feet usually take 1 full syringe. 1/3 part A 1/3 part B and 1/3 acetone
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:50 pm

quack wackr wrote:there is a post in the tutorials section that shows you how to do this. i find feet usually take 1 full syringe. 1/3 part A 1/3 part B and 1/3 acetone

pardon my stupidity, but where's the tutorial section?

Thanks,

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Frank, I think they are referring to taxidermy.net. Matt (KMA) did a tutorial on injecting feet, but his method also removed the feet. If you are not going to remove the feet, tie off the top of the leg where the skin meets the feather. I wrap mine in yard, to absorb any extra master's blend that does indeed pass into the cavity of the bird. With the yarn wrapped around the leg and wire inside the cavity, it does help with keeping this stuff off the feathers.

Since everyone is throwing in their advice I will give my method. I do not cool my master's blend. If I had a fridge just for that, I would, but it will stink the thing up to high heaven. So mine is at room temperature. I just add part "A" and then part "B", using two different syringes. I use the same injection spot for each liquid, but I don't overfill with the first injection. I add an equal amount with the second injection, and massage the toe, foot, and heel as I add the second solution. It works for me, but I don't know of anyone else doing this method except for people that were struggling, and I gave them my thoughts, they tried it, and liked it. Many people I know are struggling with too quick of kick times, but either they keep on struggling, improvise by cooling the stuff, or try something else. My method works well. I don't have to keep it cold. I have a longer time to inject, and work the feet, I get no cross contamination, and I can use a syringe for at least ten ducks before it is no longer usable. I keep each solution in a separate 10 mil bottle, and pull off the needle and suck up five mils into each syringe of each separate solution, and then put the needle back on. Tip the needle upward, and squirt out the air onto a paper towel. Add equal amounts, and you're gold. After I inject, I will squirt acetone on the feet until the liquid coming off is clear, and not milky. I card after that. If it is a standing bird, use Pat's advice and make sure you have something to keep the solution from getting on your base the bird will be mounted on. Flying birds will be fine, but have a acetone-wet towel to absorb the stuff that does indeed come out of those injection holes, while you are injecting. Clean up is done with acetone or lacquer thinner. I prefer acetone.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quack wackr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm

ya sorry i was thinking about taxidermy.net. there are tons of awesome tutorials on that site for lots of different things.
quack wackr
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:00 am

Instead of trytin to tie the legs off if still attached I cut a slit in a folded paper towel and tape it around each leg "if" I decide to inject the bird before attaching to a base. Depending on the pose and ease of getting to the leag i may or may not "tape" the legs. On all my flying birds I don't . Gravity will take care of any leakage as long as you don't go crazy with injecting the knee area. I uses smaller needles 25-26 ga so the leakage from injection holes is very minimal. Most of the time a simple wipe with a paper twoel will suffice to clean up but an acetone or thinner "wash" wouldn't hurt.

A single mallard leg would use about 3 cc and a turkey about 12cc to give a camparison.

Like every thing in taxidermy, there are 101 ways to get similar results. Try a bunch and pick what suits your style. :thumbsup:

Taxidermy.net has tutorials for days under the BIRD forum. Now be forwarned that some are done by people that shouldn't be making them , rather taking better notes themselves. :lol3: There are PLENTY of good ones especially by Wingman.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

Brian, I tie off the leg, so the master's blend stays in the leg rather than continuing upward through where the wire is slid into the foot, and into the manikin area. By tying the top of the leg off, it keeps the fluid in the leg, and doesn't allow it to escape into the skin area.

With the method I use for injecting, and not pre-mixing the two parts together, perhaps my fluid is more runny due to the catlalyst not kicking the fluid as fast? Either way, mine will run into the leg if I don't tie it off. I believe it simply follows my wire that is slid along the bone from the interior (manikin area) to the foot. It normally doesn't weep onto the outside of the skin, but it has happened in the past. Now that I tie it off, it does not happen. I simply cut of the string the next day, and all is well.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum