one of a kind mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

one of a kind mount

Postby QuackAddict95 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Heres a mount i did myself. Its my 6th and 7th duck and i decided to dead mount them both together. I still have the wire on the wings of the wigeon because hes still drying. What do you guys think?
Attachments
0224131510.jpg
0224131510.jpg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
QuackAddict95
hunter

Re: one of a kind mount

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm

I asked this once after I had a dead mount done in a pose similar to the one you chose. The ducks appear to be dead, but after looking at how ducks hang by one foot, they look kind of off balance. If they're hanging from both feet, which they may be doing, their wings hang a little more like they do.

Either way you want to look at it, you've got a good platform to build on later!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

Cougar is right. If the bird is hanging from one foot, then a line going straight down from the foot should be the center line for everything else. With a real dead bird, gravity will take care of centering it along that line, but in taxi, you gotta do it yourself :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby dmac1175 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 pm

A fresh killed bird when hanging by one foot will put the head just to the outside of center of whatever foot it is hanging from. Lets say a fresh shot bird (no rigamortis) is hanging from birds right leg. His neck and head is not exactly in line with that hanging foot, it will be hanging just to the outside (birds right). Also left wing will be slightly lower than right wing and left wing will be just a little more open than the right. Having said that, the wings are not open much at all unless broken from shot.

Keep up the good work!
dmac1175
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm

^^this is what I meant. Thanks for putting it into better words :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm

I was planning on putting either a black duck or mallard between them. thats why i have them spaced so far apart
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 am

i dont see how this is one of a kind...
quack wackr
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 pm

look smartass have you ever seen a mount like it before? Why dont you just shut your mouth and if your going to make comments like that then keep them to yourself
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I've seen lots of dead mounts like it. I'm not saying its not a good mount, however.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:56 pm

No need for anybody to get their panties in a bunch. Everybody has seen a deadmount. "Seen one, you've seen them all" comes to mind. Each mount is unique because of the story behind it. It's special to you...that is what matters. Somebody posted their opinion. Though the way they did it lacked tact, there really is no need to come out and call names.

Just my .o2 cents.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 am

QuackAddict95 wrote: What do you guys think?

Your last sentence asks a very honest and pointed question and you got answers. If you think you may not like the answer, don't ask the question. All of us on here try to get along and give honest answers. You may not like them, but name calling is no way to get respect on this forum IMO.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:56 am

The Waterfowler wrote:
QuackAddict95 wrote: What do you guys think?

Your last sentence asks a very honest and pointed question and you got answers. If you think you may not like the answer, don't ask the question. All of us on here try to get along and give honest answers. You may not like them, but name calling is no way to get respect on this forum IMO.

Thanks Pat. You make a good point.

I have to admit when I read the title to the thread I thought it was going to be a "one of a kind mount" as well. I figured I must have misunderstood what the title actually meant after seeing what the mount actually was? Either way, I can't agree more with the name calling comment either. I think you just as easily could have said: LOL instead of hey smart ass? I think the comment was valid about it not being a one of a kind mount, even if your title meant something else? If your title was meant to read exactly that…."One of a kind", then I feel your mount is only one of a kind in respect that it is not exactly like other dead mounts that have already been done, but certainly has been done thousands of times. I hope this ends now?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QuackAddict95 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Well when i asked i wasnt asking if they thought it was a one of a kind mount. Its one of a kind to me because of the story behind it. I asked what do you guys think because i wanted to get some professional taxidermy opinions like the first couple of people who commented. I havent mounted many ducks before (less that 10) and i just wanted to know what i could change for the next time i mount a duck
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Still no excuse to get pissy, because someone makes an observation that was obviously confusing due to the thread's title. I'm over it.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:03 pm

QuackAddict95 wrote:Well when i asked i wasnt asking if they thought it was a one of a kind mount. Its one of a kind to me because of the story behind it. I asked what do you guys think because i wanted to get some professional taxidermy opinions like the first couple of people who commented. I havent mounted many ducks before (less that 10) and i just wanted to know what i could change for the next time i mount a duck

Quack addict... Perhaps a better picture as well would really help for some of these guys to help critique. That is awesome that there is a " one of a kind" story behind the mount. But It did come off a little cocky if you know what I mean? You couldn't ask for a better group of guys on this particular forum so take there critiques on apply it on the next one... Even though the picture is muddled it overall looks nice. You already read the above posts so I won't state the obvious issue with it. I am new to this as well and what I can tell you is that these critiques will make the next ones better. :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum