Pintail x Gadwal hybrid?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Pintail x Gadwal hybrid?

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 pm

My buddies and I all decided this was a pintail gadwal hybrid. What do you guys think? Its obviously half pintail and showed characteristics of gadwal. Sorry don't have any pictures of its wings.
Attachments
pintailxgadwal 3.jpg
pintailxgadwal 2.jpg
pintailxgadwal 1.jpg
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Pintail x Gadwal hybrid?

Postby Pintail65 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Looks like an immature pintail to me.
Pintail65
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Its not an immature, he was killed last two days of the season and was also the biggest pintail we killed out of all of them. The pintail in the last picture was a year old bird. You can see how much smaller he is and how short his sprig is
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 pm

X2 on immature drake pintail...probably a late hatch. I killed one towards the end of the season last year that was even less mature. It happens.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm

It's still an immature Pintail. Nothing else shows any other species. Possible a late hatch bird and also juveniles are sometimes larger than adults just like a clunky over-weight teenager. Just because it was killed late has no bearing on your assumption. No other feather group shows anything other than Pintail. Can't see the back of the Pintail it is laying next to but suspect it has lace denoting a young of the year bird as well. Other possibility is that it is xxy chrosomal and that's possible.

Gadwall/Pintail hybrid.

Aged Hen.

Last edited by The Waterfowler on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm still against it being an immature but that XXY chromosomal pintail does have some very similar traits, I would have to go with that. Either way it was a cool looking bird the I would have loved to mount but before I could blink my buddies had started breasting them out :sad: . Oh well
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Whatever you think, but not very uniform to be an aged hen or xxy Chromosomal. An aged hen would show alot of male traits. I mispoke on this bird we killed last year and was typing faster than I was thinking. It's an aged hen as it had no pinfeathers of which xxy birds would have plenty. Abed hens have both estrogen and testosterone production.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am

I'm no expert but Pat did give you some expert advice. We shot 2 immature pintail drakes this year that looked just like that. We rarely get immature ones, especially so late in the season.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 am

To me it looks like the bird you have mounted, I don't see why an immature pintail would be larger than most of the 9 that we killed. I know you said immatures can be larger but I've killed lots of immature birds but none bigger or equal to the size of an adult. However you obviously know what you are talking about and I will trust your opinion.
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 pm

If you notice your bird has no white stripe running into the neck and the top of his head is just starting to turn brown. The feathers aren't uniform either like the aged hen I posted. However, you are welcome to your opinion and I gave you mine based on over 50 years of waterfowl hunting and study.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm

yea looks like a baby to me
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Just a thought, but it could be a really old drake pintail as well. He might just simply didnt get good enough nutrients to molt properly or he molttled really late. I have raised waterfowl for years and i had an old drake mallard and an old drake wood duck that for the last year of both their lives didnt molt completely. The mallard was really old when he died he was the very first duck i started with when i was 7 years old! They were ugly just like a young molting bird would look. Also size isnt the biggest factor in age either, genes and food sources can mean a lot when it comes to size. Sure most yearling birds will be smaller but that dosent mean that all will be, same scenerio i have raised waterfowl that the yearlings sometimes sprout up bigger then the older birds in just one year.
Pintail65
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Merganser murderer... Haha that's an awesome screen name
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Merganser murderer... Haha that's an awesome screen name

thanks you sir
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 pm

360 good to see you back :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am

I'm still lurking around DHC
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum