9th bird

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

9th bird

Postby quack wackr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:46 am

did this a couple weeks ago. it was my 9th bird. first standing pose... any good ?
Attachments
drake buffy pair resize.jpg
one on the left
drake buffy resize 2.jpg
drake buffy resize.jpg
quack wackr
hunter

Re: 9th bird

Postby duxrus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Not bad.

Look at how the other bird's wings sit flat against the body where yours look to be too high and not in the side pocket. It should make a smooth transition and be flat across the back instead of the shoulders being so high. The other thng that stands out is the preening (or lack of) on the head. Those feathers should lay down and not have such a rough appearance. Comparing the coloration of the bills shows yours is too BLUE and needs to be toned down with grey.

Keep up the good work and I used to dred working on standing birds myself. It will come with practice. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 am

duxrus wrote:Not bad.

Look at how the other bird's wings sit flat against the body where yours look to be too high and not in the side pocket. It should make a smooth transition and be flat across the back instead of the shoulders being so high. The other thng that stands out is the preening (or lack of) on the head. Those feathers should lay down and not have such a rough appearance. Comparing the coloration of the bills shows yours is too BLUE and needs to be toned down with grey.

Keep up the good work and I used to dred working on standing birds myself. It will come with practice. :thumbsup:

iv have been having trouble with my head. im having a hard time getting a grip on the skin on the head to move it around into position. the heafd is one of the last things i do , i usually wait till the bird is all sewen up and i just have the neck coming out the face then i attach it and pull the head skin back ovrr it. should i maybe do the head before sewing the body together so i have move freedom with the skin ? and i know the color is off, just got the airbrush going this weekend and got my paint schedual.
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Like dux said, wings and head. You know about the paint. Other than that, lookin good.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

feet look to be a little far back
hillbilly..
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum