Taxidermy question

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Taxidermy question

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey guys how difficult is it to rework a duck mount? Specifically, the way its shaped. Long story short...I'm pretty unhappy with the job that was done on my birds this year and Id like to know how involved the whole process is. Especially reworking the wings. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Acts 4:12
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Re: Taxidermy question

Postby duxrus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 pm

It all depends on how they were originally mounted. I use wire and chalk on all my wings and in other areas so it would be impossible to do anything after the fact. Normally you have less than a 50% shot at saving anything and coming out with a better mount. Most chalk it up to a "live and learn" lesson.

If you are going to attempt it you must rehydrate them and hope for the best and work S-L-O-W-L-Y. Since waterfowl are thin skinned to begin with it just makes the odds work against your favor. If you are thinking about paying someone to "try" to re-do them then get ready to pay more than you already have....with no gurantee.

Questions for you.....(from past discussions on here)

Why did you take them to this specific taxidermist ? (be honest)

Did you tell the taxidermist that you were unhappy with the quality or lack there of before walked out the door with them ?

What did you pay for them ?

Did you see examples of their work before you left your birds with them ?

Sorry for you negative experience.
duxrus
hunter

Re: Taxidermy question

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:26 am

Pretty much what Brian said is right on. The skin once dried is like a potato chip and will snap, break or tear if moved most of the time after it is dried. A few birds are possible to reposition, but few and far between. I've seen birds with 100% silicone instead of caulk repositioned weeks later, but this isn't the norm and most taxidermist don't go to the expense to use silicone in the neck or wing area. Turkeys yes, ducks no as a rule.

Bottom line like Brian said is did you say something about your unhappiness before you left. If it was your car in the shop for work would you have left unhappy with the results? Se thing, just on a smaller scale.

I've had one client say he was unhappy (before he left) with the position on his mount either through his miscommunication or my misunderstanding. Told him to bring me another Mallard like this one I'd mount it for free. He did and I did and he's still a good customer to this day. Was better to do this than have someone unhappy in my mind. I've since mounted him a dozen or more birds so it was worth the investment.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum