washing methods ? ( without gas )

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

washing methods ? ( without gas )

Postby quack wackr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm

hey guys,i was just wondering if some of you would be willing to share your washing methods ? i feel like some of my birds could be cleaner . i wash the bird several times in hot water and dawn dish soap. then rinse it under hot water for a couple minutes. anything more i should be doing ? any inpt would be greatly appreciated
quack wackr
hunter

Re: washing methods ? ( without gas )

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 am

I don't use "hot" water. I use warm water for first several wash cycles with Dawn and if clots present I use Era directly on the clots to bust them up as it works wonders with clots and blood stains. If rust stained I use Winks on the stains. I've also found some stuff called Awesome Degreaser from $ General which I think is better than Dawn if you can believe that. I still use it in conjunction wth Dawn but it seems to lift the grease out better. Main thing I think is to have the bird well wheeled on the inside or you will never get all the grease out of the bird. Some people use gas, some don't. I do and feel it speeds up the drying process and removes residual oil and water from the bird once it's toweled dry. But, I use it outside with good ventilation and nitrile gloves. I Borax the inside of the bird before I tumble it as well. It helps to keep sawdust/grit buildup from adhereing to the skin.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am

Ditto....I do add another step as I soak mine in a degreaser for a few hours after washing them. It seems to both clean and strengthen the skin somewhat (might just be in my head but seems that way).

Pat,

Your Era Trick works GREAT and i now will be adding it to my dawn wash from now on. It eats away all the blood in minutes. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 am

Brian, we discovered Era by chance when blood got on a girls swede coat. It disolved the blood in seconds and went away. We though hummmmmmmm and tried it on a heavy blood clot on a Ross' Goose. Just massaged it in and minutes later blew the complete clot out with the spray nozzle in the sink. Blood can't hide from that stuff! Glad it works for you as well.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 pm

thanks ill give that a try . doing a woody today thats very bloodyy !... and how long do you wash the bird for each time ? do you ever let the bird sit in the soapy water ?
quack wackr
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 pm

I usually wash (soak) a bird for about 10 minutes before putting it in my degreaser. There it will soak for hours.

As far as the ERA, I had a Blood clot in the shape of a Ross goose :fingerhead: and tried it for a "why not give it a try". That bird came out clean as a whistle. A shot of whinks later and it hasn't been so clean and white since it left the egg. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 am

thanks for the help guys !
quack wackr
hunter

Postby loon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 am

The last step I do is I actually add a little downy fabric softener to the water after all the soap is gone. I think I saw that tip on here but it made a real difference in how well the feathers fluffed up and gave you that really "poofy"look :thumbsup:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Taxidermy Forum