My 1st Ducks will be ready this week

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

My 1st Ducks will be ready this week

Postby GA/quack_addic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:25 am

My mother and kids are so thoughtful. I have a birthday in a few days and we were to get together to have dinner. My mother hands me a ticket from the taxidermy that I dropped my first ducks off with. She took care of the bill, however the ducks were not yet complete and still has to dry and put the finishing touches on. This is the picture she sent to me. Cant wait to get them back this week. She knew how much these ducks meant to me as a would walk a river bank for about 2 miles away from the highway to a 4-way in the river and pass shoot as they would bank the river turns. After knocking several down on several different days, however, landing in the woods and unable to find (no dog, at least an hour each time searching, and wanting to throw my shotgun in the river for wasting downed game) I finally bagged these two with back to back shots flying together.....I was a very proud of these 2 and decided to get them mounted to remember my break-in period as a new Duck Hunter. I wish my father could of introduced me to this sport at a younger age ( I do not place blame on him as he is still my "Superman") but as I am a few days from 30 I thank a buddy of mine that I can now make sure to share my obsession with my son (5 years old).....

Tell me what you think, I think it looks pretty well but open to any criticism.
GA/quack_addic
hunter

Re: My 1st Ducks will be ready this week

Postby emusmacker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

I really hate to be the 1st to say anything, but please tell me these birds are the 1st the taxi ever mounted. they look flat ans pressed into the wall.

congrats tho on some fine birds.
emusmacker
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Definitely not a taxidermy expert, but the faces look a little funny to me. Maybe it's because they're still drying, but I dunno! Congrats on the great birds!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby GA/quack_addic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

I have to admit as well not the most impressive but I still cherish the hunt and the birds but learned a lot from this experience....more picky on the next ones.... At least I have birds on the wall that my little boy can see daily and hopefully keep him interested and wanting to go...
GA/quack_addic
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am

First ,congrats on fun memories.

I will give my honest opinion and am doing so to help with future birds you plan to display. The quality of those birds just isn't there. There really isn't much good to comment on other than you have a bird on the wall. They apparently were mounted wet from the looks of some of the feathers and that is a bird taxidermy 101 no-no. The tail feathers are WAY to open for any position. The wings and necks aren't in natural positions either so I will end there. They look like 100.00 birds where most quality ones will easily run 200+.

Before you take this as an all out bashing on you, remember it isn't. Many people's first birds are taken to the closest taxidermist with the thought that a taxidermist can do it all, which in 99.9% of cases just isn't true. As with anything, people are usually only good with a few things and not with everything. Taxidermy is no different. When chosing someone to do future work look for ones who specialize in what you have. A few rules to live by are....

1) See their work with YOUR OWN EYES...never go solely on other's word (good/great have different meanings to different people)

2) Price shopping is a sure way to get a "bad" mount. Not to say there aren't a few low priced quality people out there but odds are against such unless they just have horrible business sense....

3) Doing great deer does NOT mean they can even do a decent duck and vise versa

I suggest you take a quick look as some of the more known bird taxidermists out there and you will quickly see the difference in quality and lack there of.......Birdman Studios (a sponsor) is a good place to start.
duxrus
hunter

Postby GA/quack_addic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 am

well put and you pretty much hit the nail on the head....It is nice to have it on the wall....but will shop around for the next one I plan to put up....came straight from the river to the man.....lesson learned
GA/quack_addic
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 pm

And don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No one can see the memories you can see. You got the right attitude. :thumbsup:
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum