For you turkey hunters

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: For you turkey hunters

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

My knees hurt too Pat……and my back….and my legs. Are you one of those old school guys who never hunts from a comfortable blind? My back can no longer take the sitting with my back against the tree. My legs will fall asleep, and my back will spasm. I hope you're willing to sit in a blind when you visit, or else you are going solo my friend. I do make some great looking blinds in great locations. Four of them are set up at any given time.

I will still run and gun, but these kids need the comfort to hide noises and movement, and I'm learning I do as well! :yes:
Attachments
942733_522773904426949_1243195132_n.jpg
blind 3
295412_522774151093591_178175028_n.jpg
blind 2
941486_522774624426877_529615902_n.jpg
blind 1
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Pete, I'd shoot them from a Lay-Z-Boy Recliner if I could! Age dictates different tactics and more patience. Nothing wrong with a blind. Have read several good books in them while waiting. But, I'd still crawl over broken glass and carpet tacks to get one. Taking me longer to recover these days from the rigors of running and gunning. Would welcome sharing a nice comfy blind with you any day.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri May 03, 2013 7:41 am

Dang Pete, those look like our duck blinds....ahh Cedar :tongue:

Well, wish me and Dux Sr. luck on our annual trip west in search of the white tipped merriams. The ranch where we go got hit by wildfires in the Fall so they say there is zero ground cover and green up is slow with all the snow they keep getting. A group we know is there now and reports are the birds are just breaking up and are henned up bad. We are hoping they get more user friendly next week with the warm up. I haven't hunted in over a week and am having withdrawls. I am sooooo ready to be there with a butter ball flopping infront of me. :thumbsup: I will have a pocket full of shells and tags so look out... :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 am

Good luck, Brian. If you come through Memphis, stop and visit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Pat, I will wave from the plane :hi: My butt can't sit for twenty hours in a truck :crying:

Another friend is hunting public land close to our destination and he just tagged his 2nd this morning so there is hope :thumbsup: I guess we need to just buy a bag of charcoal on the way to blacken up our look once we get to burntville. This will definitley be a first along with adding a degree of difficulty to manuvering. Hopefully there are a few less than bright gobblers awaiting us. :yes:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Luckily they are Merriam's and not Easterns!! You'll do fine. I have faith in you.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:19 pm

That bird does have a heck of a rope on him, Pat. I can't seem to find the Xtended range shells in anything but #4's now. Did they just quit making them or what? Other then helping other people full their tags my turkey season has come to a close. I tinkered around to long and by the time I got around to applying for a third permit they had already quit taking applications. Oh well, I enjoy and get just as much thrill going with someone as they get to pull the trigger as if it were myself. I just get to shoot them with the camera now. :thumbsup:
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 pm

I found a box of 6's the other day and got them. I heard they were going to stop making them as the raw material is getting more expensive. May be a rumor though, not sure. I'm down to 13 5's in my stock and hope I can find some more.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 am

I way misjudged distance on this one a few weeks ago :no: ....I was in the edge of some thick woods and he was out in a field strutting and gobbling. He got as close as he was going to (I had been working him for over an hour) so I took the shot. I am not proud of taking a 60 yard shot...BUT look at what a load of Hevi-shot 6's did to him at that distance... :eek: Needless to say he didn't get up. His head had atleast a dozen holes in it so he definitely took the center of the pattern. I was amazed at the pattern at that distance. It looked like I shot him at about 25 yards. I am officially sold on those shells. :thumbsup: I patterend them out to 50 yards and was getting 50+ pellets in the kill zone. I try to draw the line at taking shots to about that distance and feel comfortable with my gun out to there for those "he ain't getting any closer" scenerios. Further than 50 was my mistake so glad my gun compensated for my error in judgement.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't think I've ever taken a shot beyond 30? I've patterned shots to forty, and feel like even forty is a bit far for me. I hear of guys talking about sixty yard shots, and trust me, I've had more than one gobbler hang up on me (and sixty yards sure is the magic distance isn't it?), but they get a pass from me. I guess I like the challenge of trying for him the next day or next season.

Brian, it looks like your choke tube/ammo combination does the trick! I just like to shoot their lips off! lol :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Taxidermy Forum