A proud daddy!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

A proud daddy!

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 am

My ten year old got her first kill this morning! he was a good bird. Three year old with a 10 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. She had a miss yesterday at a tom that was probably outside her effective range...or nerves got the better of her? Either way, she made up for that, and that bad memory was overcome with a great memory of her first bird with her daddy! Don't ask who was prouder, because you all know who that was.....ME!

My season starts Wednesday, and I have my father in law, and my Son hunting with me. My Father in law has not shot a bird before, and my Son has shot plenty, but he is still my boy. This one is about them. Calling in a bird for a kid or a first time turkey hunter is far more rewarding than shooting one yourself! When My daughter and I drove off after getting her bird this morning, we drove by the lower part of the field we were in, only to have 11 strutters out there displaying there stuff. Weather is going to shut them down again, but the next sunny day, these birds will be on fire!!!!
Attachments
Ailish's bird 1.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Re: A proud daddy!

Postby King Eider » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 am

Happy for both of you. Still trying to get my boy a bird to respond down here. Worked one bird for a little bit the morning but he'd have nothing to do with us. They are being pretty tight lipped around my neck of the woods. Also trying to convince the girl to go out. Plenty of time yet.
King Eider
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 am

Atta Girl!!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am

Keep at it. This morning was the best I've seen all year. I've been out plenty scouting, and this winter has them running a little late, especially compared to last year. They were gobbling mad around me today, and the winter flock started splitting up just in the last couple days here, so soon they will be easier to hunt. Winter flocks are good for encounters because you can see so many at one time, but the flock mentality makes hunting a bit tougher in my opinion. It's either boom or bust most of the time. This particular bird I saw the day before cross the road, and he didn't roost with the rest of the boys. He was gobbling about a 1/2 mile from us. He knew where he belonged though, because he flew down, and was literally gobbling at every sigle sound out there...geese, cardinals, wood ducks, cranes, crows, and me and heading where the rest of the flock was. He was hot. Another thing that was interesting, is there were a few hens roosted right behind the blind, and this is not where the winter flock roosts, so splitting up has certainly begun.

When he came in and saw the decoys, he went into strut, and wondered why they weren't coming to him? He was so pretty and all, that these girls were either gay or fake. I think he figured out which, when the lead slammmed his face? lol In other words, he was still leary of the decoys, and they were DSD's which I think look prettyy damn real. Almost like he was surprised these girls were even talking to him? They've certainly been on the feedbag only. I've seen some fanning, but no real courting?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Atta girl! Now that proud dad is gonna do a full body mount for her right? ;)

Great job Pete!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Hardly! She wants a fan mount, and the spurs and beard together with the shell casing to show off the goods! These kids know that you can't mount everything....now I've got to learn that too! LOL
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Congrats!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks guys. She certainly appreciates all the attention she's getting today. She said "this sort of feels like It's my day". I told her it most sure is.....when in fact, it was really my day!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jstewart_1981 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:36 am

Awesome & congrats to you both!!
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby dmac1175 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 am

Congratulations to you both!
My oldest daughter got her first last year at 10.
This year I have been taking my 8 year old daughter. Unfortunately she missed a big bird this morning. We will keep trying, season is almost over.
dmac1175
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks, and good luck!

The ten year old and I were just out there puting chairs in the blind. She has the fourth season here as well, but the birds are sure acting strange this year. Decoys and calling, and a blind that isn't brushed in will send them birds in another direction. Time to scout, and hit their known strutting zones.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cootlover » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 am

That's great bird can't wait for my girl to go duck hunting this year for the first time.
cootlover
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum