Mount Idea

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Mount Idea

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm

I don't see too many like this...I like it...
I'm thinking about having my nice fat Long Island black duck done like this with a squater head.....
Thoughts?
Attachments
Mount.jpg
Mount.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Mount Idea

Postby duxrus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 pm

This is purely my opinion but why choose a pose so void of movement ? In the very least i would turn the head at you somewhat. Again, just my .02
duxrus
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 am

I hear you. But remember, we are talking about a black duck. A lot of times the movement in the pose is to show off the plumage of a species. Not much going on in a black, other than the white under wing. I like the idea of a fatty with a low, bent head...maybe like it's pissed off sitting in the rain or something....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

Slack Tide Im with you on this one. This is the pose I too have picked out for my black duck that Im dropping off when I pick up my redheads.
Attachments
black duck.jpg
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 am

Wowza! Ya see? That's nice....
I was going to go even milder and have the wing tip features folded in and resting. That one looks like he's jussssssst about to start preening or something.
Love it.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

That's my picture :lol3: I'd say that if you got a mount done like this I would lower the wing just a bit and have the head turned
Attachments
-00.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 pm

The second pic is more of "my" liking. On a black all you basiclly have for color is bill, feet, and speculum. I just haven't been a fan of covering up a birds speculum by tucking the wing....except for woodies where the side pockets have their own look. There again everyone has their own preference so what makes you happy is always the correct pose. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 am

I don't have a pic but my Nephew has an awesome looking black duck in a standing/preening pose. The bill is barely protruding under the outstretched wing so you can see the color and with the wing flared out you can really see the speculum.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Sat May 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Here is a little different pose
zippyduck
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum