Looking for a gifted bird

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Looking for a gifted bird

Postby NickJ. » Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Im hoping to have some free time this summer and wanted to start to practice some taxidermy. Thought Id take a chance and ask if anyone has any birds leftover in the freezer that werent going to use for anything. If anyone does that would be very much appreciated. Im located in CT but if anyone has any to ship that would be fine too.

Thanks!
NickJ.
hunter

Re: Looking for a gifted bird

Postby Pete-pec » Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Nick, it is a bad time to ship in my opinion. I would have something for you when the weather is colder, but shipping this time of year is potentially costly in two ways. I certainly know how to package a duck, but you would have to pay overnight shipping. If the bird is sent another more reasonable method (cost) then you risk losing the bird all together. I have a couple extra birds in the freezer, but they are top quality birds, that are already skinned and fleshed, making shipping even tougher due to the lack of mass when shipping them frozen.

You mention practicing? If this is your first attempt at taxidermy, I would prefer to send you something more common or less than stellar if this is the case.

How about you remind me in the fall, and I will get you a couple birds to practice on as the season gets colder? I think there are other people here, willing to gift a bird or two as well, but this is not the time of year to be sending birds without spending top dollar, and in my opinion, I wouldn't spend top dollar to practice on a bird, if you are just learning.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickJ. » Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info about the shipping, that hadn't occurred to me. And yes I have done deer before but this will be my first bird so I am not looking for a high quality or unusual bird. Just any old bird would work for me Im not going to be particular. I will have to keep you in mind and send you a message in the fall when it gets cooler. Thank you so much for the help!

Is there a better species to work with for a beginner or are they all going to be more or less the same?
NickJ.
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Divers are tougher skinned than puddle ducks but can be a little harder to skin. Scaup, divers in general, etc. would be good to start on other than grain fed puddle ducks which can be a train wreck on the fleshing wheel for the un-practiced. Pete is correct in the shipping. Case in point, I just sent two Ocellated Turkey skin and a Brocket Deer skin to a client in Wyoming that cost $120 for second day! I can save winter birds if you will remind me. It's a good idea to get a Fed-Ex account so someone shipping birds can use your number which is discounted shipping also by the way. Cost nothing to apply and they will give you a card with your account number and keep a CC on file to charge you when used. A lot of people shipping gifted birds with the promise of getting reimbursed for shipping have been left holding the bag and aren't as likely to send anything w/o being paid shipping up front.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby NickJ. » Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am

I will keep that in mind. Wow that is crazy for shipping! Thank you both for being so helpful and generous, ill definitely be in contact with you in the fall!
NickJ.
hunter

Postby icefishingduckman » Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Do you get up to NH at all? (Hooksett area) if so I have a couple of Buffleheads
icefishingduckman
hunter

Postby loon » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 pm

If you are just starting out any bird will do for practice including pigeons or chickens. Just go to a local farm and tell him you're willing to clean out some pigeons if you have access to pellet gun that works great or just buy a chicken skin it for practice and throw the carcass on the grill
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby NickJ. » Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am

Ice, I dont get up that way too often unfortunately. I go to maine a few times a year but thats the only time I really go through NH. A bufflehead would be very very cool though Ive never seen one down here.

And loon that is a pretty good idea. I was just thinking ducks but that could be another way to practice and I wouldnt care how they came out if I had a hard time with something
NickJ.
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am

:rolleyes:
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby loon » Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Yup mount the chicken ! you get a good meal and a predator decoy when you are done.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Taxidermy Forum