Number 2 season five

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Number 2 season five

Postby Pete-pec » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

Here in Wisconsin, we only have 6 season (7 with youth). You apply for your preference, and get drawn in the order of preference, and you will usually get your first through 3rd pick. After that, you will have the unsold tags that go on sale over the counter. I drew season 1, and bought a tag for season 5 and 6.

The birds were on fire today, gobbling on the roost, and after they hit the ground. It takes discipline to not over-call at these birds especially when they are so vocal. If you do call too much, as some of you already are aware, the hens will take them in the opposite direction. I like to be patient. I let the tom know my location with very soft tree yelps while they are on the roost, and again, some very subtle calling after they hit the ground. After that, I say nothing. I am convinced that these birds are like the best retriever/pointer out there. They will pin point your location, and visit you after the hens got to lay. That's just what these two boys did today. These were simply those perfect 2 year olds that come in so nice. Shot this bird at 11 yards with my new PSE bow. Something I don't think I'll do that often. I let my ego get the best of me, and I really don't feel that much cooler for doing it "the hard way"?!

I almost blew the shot, and got very lucky to spine shoot the thing as I hit it very high. Shotgun is way easier! :wink: :fingerhead:
Attachments
197744_525360230834983_1470787610_n.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Number 2 season five

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

Lucky spine shot!! Rather be lucky than good my friend. Nice job.

Pete made a good point for some of you novice turkey hunters. Don't over call, especially late in the season. If a gobbler answers you or is close he knows where you are and patience is the name of the game. Sooner or later he will remember that spot. Just like women, you can't hurry them!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Congratulations on a nice looking bird!

I'm deaf and turkey hunting isn't much fun. Have taken one with a bow and two with a shotgun, never used a blind tho' do they get weary around a blind?
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

I must admit that the advantage of hearing makes it that much better, but I hope that's the only reason it is not fun?

They certainly get used to the blinds, but brushing them in helps that much more.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum