Pintail Sprig Feathers

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Pintail Sprig Feathers

Postby FlightCanceller » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 am

So am new to the forum and from the upper Midwest. I realize I haven't posted much and am brand new to the forum (Don't beat me up). I am starting to dabble in taxidermy with birds and have complete a couple mounts and I was hoping any of you guys down south perhaps had some sprig feathers that were longer. My daughter shot her first nice drake last season and of course they do not have long sprigs when we shoot them up here. Was hoping to get some longer sprigs so it would look more complete when I mount it. If anyone has some extra and is willing to part ways with them it would be much appreciated.
FlightCanceller
Newb

Re: Pintail Sprig Feathers

Postby Cougar125 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

First... :welcome:

Second...Lets see some of your work!

Third...if I were home and not in the desert, I'd send ya some. Unfortuantely, I'm 7,500 miles from my collection of feathers.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby FlightCanceller » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

Here is my hen wood duck I just finished up a couple nights ago. I tried to make my own body on this mount with excelsior and I'm kind of beating myself up over it. I guess practice will make perfect or will just stick to pre-molds. It is still drying so will have the final product in a week or so. (As you can see I'm still a work in progress but getting better)

My other mount is a bufflehead but no pictures at the moment.
Attachments
photo - Copy.JPG
FlightCanceller
Newb

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Wrapped excelsior bodies aren't that hard to do and I use them most of the time. Just save the carcass from your skinned bird for reference. And, I always make them a little smaller as I use caulk or silicone to reach the desired anatomy on the finished bird. You can make a body bigger once it's sewed up but not smaller.

Send me your address as I have plenty of Pintail sprigs. And, welcome to the forum.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum