Goose

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Goose

Postby Goosemaster98 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 am

I just mounted a goose and I'm trying to get the feathers to lay down on its head and neck any suggestions on what I can use to groom them so it looks real. Thanks
Goosemaster98
Newb

Re: Goose

Postby duxrus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:58 am

I would just cup your hand around the head and starting up at the bill run it back toward the body. That should lay most of the feathers flat. If a few are out of place a T-pin works well to place it as needed. If you have alot that aren't laying correctly after that you might not have gotten the head fleshed enough and any left over membrane around those tiny qwills will keep the feathers fighting you all the way. Pin feathery birds also will be a royal pain since those feathers aren't developed well enough to lay nice and flat. Good luck :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Re: Goose

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 am

If the head and neck are too tight, you may have "bristled" out the feathers because the feather butts have no place to lay down. Also the neck and head may have pinfeathers, or you need to taxi the skin more forward to tighten the skin together to give it a full look.

All of these are pure speculation because you did not post pictures. Without a reference to your problem, your answers are all guesswork......SO POST SOME PICTURE......GOOD PICTURES, none of that small cell phone stuff!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum