New Dead Mount - Question

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

New Dead Mount - Question

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey guys, I had two mallards from last season done in a dead mount. I made the shelf myself out of old wood and bought the old shotgun shell boxes, call and decoy from an antique store all for $30. The deer is one I shot in Alabama a few years back. Anyways - I think it looks great and overall I'm really happy with the mounts except for the color of their bills. They have this wierd greenish tint to them? It's hard to tell form this pic, but it looks like they got a thin coat of yellow paint or something? Why were they green in the first place? I guess my question really is:

Do you guys paint the bills like you do the feet? If so, where can I get the paint to touch up the bills more to my liking?

In case you're wondering, I can't go back to the taxidermist and complain. He is a retired guy that charges next to nothing and does this more as a favor to those that know him than as a business. I'm very grateful that he did these for me and couldn't dream of complaining to him.
Attachments
DeadMount.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Re: New Dead Mount - Question

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Also - I'll add that my 3-4 year plan is to load that thing up left to right with all of Missouri's puddle ducks. Gaddies, Pintails, GWT, Widgeon, etc...
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby bulldawgsierra » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Not sure 100% what the problem is but the feet and the bills are completely different color. They should be yellow like they are in the picture that I see.
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 pm

bulldawgsierra wrote:Not sure 100% what the problem is but the feet and the bills are completely different color. They should be yellow like they are in the picture that I see.

It's not really visible in this pic. I'll post a better one close up of the bills when I get home. My questions still stands though... the bills get painted?
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby vahunter2469 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Feet and bills do get painted. The picture I see, although not great, the bills look fine to me. If he didn't paint the bills, they wouldn't look like that.
vahunter2469
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Most duck's bills will turn dark to black once thawed out and mounted so yes you have to paint them. I know pictures don't always show colors correctly but those do look fairly close to what they should be.
duxrus
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm

reguardless, that is one sick mount! i love the idea, very original.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

Sorry I didn't have these yesterday when I posted. Is this what the bills should look like after painting?
Attachments
Duck Bill 2.jpg
Duck Bill 1.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:25 am

I see now. You can paint over that.

Google taxidermy supplies. There are paint charts available too. Nice mount idea and the birds look decent.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby bulldawgsierra » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 am

Ok I see what you mean know. Yes the bills do get painted and I know sometimes on the birds we do we don't even use the real bills. I really like the mount and your idea with it looks really good but that is defiantly to much green.
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for all the compliments on the mount idea, I love it and can't wait to finish it!

That's what I was thinking about too much green - I'll try and find some paint to touch up the bills. Appreciate the help!
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am

I know exactly where he failed, and trust me, it is an easy fix. He tried painting yellow without a base coat of white or grey or something neutral. These are the original bills which is obvious by the way you see shrinkage. No biggie, something I used to do was use the original, but now I use artificial. Don't even worry about stripping the paint. Just tape off the bill at the feather line, and spray over his paint job with white paint from a can. Yellow spray paint in a matt finish is pretty close for your color, and will be better than what you have. There are specialized lacquer and water based paints in that specific "mallard yellow", but I'm not sure it's needed?

He used a brush when he painted those bills, and although I'm not sure if they were water or lacquers, they were thinned down too much.

From the "ten foot rule" the color looked alright, because the bills do vary to some degree where there is a hint of green or not......but the close-up tells another story.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 am

And the nail....Black paint using a brush. All of which can use a brush, but only one coat at a time, or it lifts and messes up the previous coats of paint.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

YIKES...now I see. Looks like he brushed on water based paint while they were hanging there, hence the poor coverage. I would suggest going to any hobby shop like Hobby Lobby and go to their model paint section. You should be able to find a suitable color to use. Air brushing is always a better alternative but I assume you don't have one.

Pete, I will have to disagree on needing a base coat before you add "color". :tongue: I just spray on my mallard green/yellow and give it a slight wash with black...DONE. If you want to fix the shrinkage issue just "paint" on a layer or two of watered down (matte finish) Modge Podge before re-painting and then a coat after you paint it. This will fill in all the "voids" and give the bill a nice "rubbery" natural look. :thumbsup:

As far as hanging dead mounts...reference. reference, reference.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:53 am

And I will disagree with you in regards to painting yellow with a brush. Other colors no problem.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am

With a brush......I will have to say "I don't know" since I have long given the brush up. Since with a brush you are going to have a thicker looking paintjob than by using an airbrush I would assume everything would get a good coat of any color :huh: Now Pete you know I just like disagreeing with you atleast once a month :hi:

To be honest if I were you I would just call around to some local taxidermists and see if they would repaint them for you for a price. They can knock it out in a few minutes and save you alot of time along with trial and error. I have done TONS of repaints for people over the years and just charge them 10$ a pop for my time. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 am

It's all good Brian. I was exactly speaking from experience. Happened to me on a wood duck bill, with a brush.....until I put a base coat of white down. Of course that is something in the past, but I will use a brush for detail at times.

Also used/used modge podge. I now use real bills and several coats of water based satin clear coat to give that full effect.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I took a look at the paints at Hobby Lobby today and there are perfect Mallard colors available in multiple brands and prices. I would definitely look there. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 am

Awesome looking mount!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:53 am

duxrus wrote:Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I took a look at the paints at Hobby Lobby today and there are perfect Mallard colors available in multiple brands and prices. I would definitely look there. :thumbsup:

Thanks! There is a hobby lobby pretty close to my house. I'll have to stop by on the way home from work one night this week!
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby Weston81 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Very cool mount/idea, as you add to it please keep postin up the pic's!
Weston81
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Well retired or not... Next to nothing or not. I would say something. But that's just me. Although I like the idea of the mount, poor paint schemes can't ruin a mount and create an eye sore you and you're guests will have to look at for as long as the mount is in commission. Re-paint it like Dux and Pete said. And take your next ones somewhere else.

Brandon
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby EvanKCMO » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Thank you for the advice guys. I just now got around to repainting these bills (life is WAY too busy). There were a lot of shades of yellow out there! I just went with normal old "yellow" and I think it looks pretty good? What do you guys think of the shade? Should I have gone with a darker shade of yellow?

FYI - I did brush it on and you can see brush strokes, but only from up close. This even passes the "2 foot" test :smile: =
Attachments
Duck Bill Redone.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Looks good to me.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Waaaaay better :yes:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Taxidermy Forum