Goose Mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Goose Mount

Postby NickCies80 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:21 pm

I shot this goose the other day and I want to get it mounted. I was told that it was a Hutchinson or Richardsons sub-species. I was wondering what the Tax guys thought on a possible mount. I would like a standing mount of some kind. Would like some input from the people who do this stuff. Also there is a small blood spot on the face and some on one of the wing and a little on the breast. Big deal or not? You can see it in the pics.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby poi96 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Looks like it may be a cackler with that small bill. The blood will come out easy. When you freeze it make sure you wrap wet paper towels around the feet. Make sure it doesnt have a lot of pin feathers....you can tell by pulling the feathers back...the neck and belly are a good place to check. Pinfeathers look horrible once they are mounted.

Here are some standing poses
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... en%26lr%3D
poi96
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:43 am

Nick,

Yes you have what would be called a cackler or Richardson. The blood is not a problem, except for the fact that you broke a wing bone, and they tend to show an off color over time, because grease and blood tends to bleed out of the bone after a while. I'm just reiterating what was already stated, that your little goose WILL have pinfeathers, so it's probably not a perfect specimen. Also, Shane Smith is not a good example of what your goose will probably turn out like. Shane is in a very elite class, and is considered one of the best, so probably not a representative example of what the average taxidermist will provide. My advice would be to wait til December to get yourself a nice migrator with better plumage! They sure are pretty birds though.

Just my two cents,

-Pete
Last edited by Pete-pec on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:44 am

If I had to bet my money, I'd say its probably chock full of pin feathers. If so, a standing mount would probably not be the best option. A flying mount looks much better on a pinfeathered bird.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby poi96 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:11 am

id defintely say a flying mount with the belly to the wall would be the best way to go about. Its a real cool bird and they are pretty rare around me.
poi96
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:14 pm

Well we shot another on of these geese today and it didn't have a single pin feather. The first one we cleaned did not have any so I am just goin to take it in. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:57 am

Go for it! See, I told you that you'd get another one!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter052002 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:48 pm

yje goose you have is a richardson. there are nine sub-speices of canada

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum