Ruddy and GE ideas

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Ruddy and GE ideas

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Shot a winter phase ruddy drake and a an immature Common GE drake the ruddy duck was the first one my dad has ever seen in 35 years of duck hunting and the golden eye ain't too common for my area either so even though its immature its still going up. I'd like some ideas for my ruddy duck and the things I want in the mount are
1). The tail up
2). I wanna show off the big feet
3). I also wanna show how small the wings are in proportion to the body
I know a standing mount sounds good maybe with it preening its wing but I already have a hoodie pair standing with the hen doing that but I also don't want just an ordinary flying mount I want a unique mount for this unique duck

Also any cool GE mount pics would be appreciated
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Re: Ruddy and GE ideas

Postby duxrus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 pm

With your list of wants on the rudy "I" would do a diving pose with the wings slightly open. This would show the wings and legs and you could angle the tail somewhat (not all the way up) with the illusion of motion. To me I just don't like the look of the small "no neck" divers such as rudys and buffies in a preening pose. Another thing you probably want is the cool side profile of the rudy's head.....

On most GE's I get, the client usually wants them standing with the head fully fluffed to show off that aspect. I like to add a streaching wing so you can also show off the sholder stripes on a common or dots on a Barrows. I actually did one like this yesterday but he is wrapped up drying so pic's wouldn't show much. A simple hanging dead mount could also be cool. The problem with flying is they "usually" don't fly with the head fluffed up so you loose alittle something.

Just a few things to think about. :thumbsup:

Congrats.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 am

1). The tail up
2). I wanna show off the big feet
3). I also wanna show how small the wings are in proportion to the body

I don't think you can have all three. A swimming ruddy with his tail up would only look good in breeding plumage in my opinion, but this would show off his feet and could display his tail up. The wings however would be tucked unless he was reaching for the sky in some sort of courtship display, but again, the winter phase coloration sort of blows the whole theme in my opinion. They can be dyed with hair coloring. A guy with the name Hoss on taxidermy .net dyed one (also has a youtube video showing the process, and he sort of over colored the wings in my opinion), but it looked pretty good, but this is something a professional would have to undertake.

The immature goldeneye is something I personally wouldn't mount but hey, we shoot many here in Wisconsin. If you would like a replacement of the bird in better plumage (maturity) I would send you one, but I understand the reasoning for which you want the original mounted.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 am

Yeah I really like the sound of that diving pose and I know the GE isn't a good one at all but it has a story behind it that Ill never forget.. It was the last day of the season I shot it after 4 hours of sitting out by this farm pond and I didn't have my waders because they were at my dads house and after I shot it he landed about 30 yards from the bank so I stripped all the way to my boxers and waded out to him it was about 45 out too.. After that I went to my wood duck hole and bagged a limit of 3 and had to wade out to those in just boxers too haha oh well it makes a hunt that ill never forget.. Im just really dedicated to it
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I shoot a lot of whistlers and sometimes the slightly immature ones with almost all the adult coloration but some of the black feathers in the area that should all be white give it a spotted leopard look really very striking
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:10 pm

How about the ruddy landing on the water? Feet out, wings out, tail up.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby glass eye » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm

I've shot 4 Ruddies in color. I've only got around to mounting 2 of mine and one for a customer. Here are some pics.
IMG_5373.JPG
This one I did with the head held high to show off the rich red color on the neck.
IMG_9584.jpg-25%.jpg
This one flying because that's how I shot it ( swinging my A-5 with 1 hand like a handgun behind me)
IMG_7085.JPG
This one is a customer's but I think I'll mount one of my remaining ruddies like this.
glass eye
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum