How much$$

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

How much$$

Postby youngster57 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:40 pm

I was just wondering ive never had a mount done and i wanted to know how much a good mount normally costs??
youngster57
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:47 pm

it all depends... i got 2 done for 180 each by what was considered to be a good local bird taxidermist (at the same time)... unfortunately i will never take anything to her again... from now on i'll pay the extra $$ to ship them off and have someone like shane smith or birdman studios do mine... it sucks having to look at a not so great mount on a bird that was a perfect candidate for mounting... plus you should have these things for a long time so why skimp on having them done well :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby sheerperfection » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:58 pm

most of them charge by the size of the duck + what u want to add with it, when u call them just ask and they will tell u
sheerperfection
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:27 am

Alrighty that gives me a few ideas. I want to get a nice mallard mounted this year.
youngster57
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:02 am

My last mount ( a woodie ) cost me $140. It looks sweet.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:31 pm

hmmm. I would like to get a woodie mounted but i have yet to ever shoot one im feeling lucky this year though :smile:
youngster57
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:38 pm

Do you want to me to post the names of some oklahoma taxidermist? I would say 100-200 dollars. I like my mount by artistan wildlife taxidermist but one of my hunting buddys showed up to pick up a mount and he was beating his wife.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby youngster57 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 am

hmm i would mounted his arse for that crap you just dont hit a woman no matter what the cause.
youngster57
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Bad taxidermists are a pet peeve of mine. I can't believe some of the mounts you see at deer shows and other wildlife exhibits. Do people not know what deer or duck is supposed to look like? From learning experience, do your homework, and no matter how good of "buddy" he is, don't give him your duck or deer to do unless he is better than anything you have seen so far. If I choose to get a bird done, then it is something special to me, and I want that memory to last a lifetime. I have learned from experience, and even threw a bufflehead in the trash, that I was tired of people laughing. Make sure your taxidermist is a duck hunter, or very knoledgable of birds, and I prefer a bird only, taxidermists. Be sure and look at as many ducks that he/she has done, cause, just because you see one that is great, does not mean that they all are(been there, done that, got the t-shirt). I have since found a great one, and I will recommend him to anyone. The local Gander Mountain where my parents live, have some ducks there, that are absolutely terrorfying to look at. My wife does not even hunt or know what a duck is supposed to look like, and she even cringed when she saw them, point is, is that this guy had to be somewhat confident in his abilities to mount birds or he probally would not have put them in the store. If that was my birds, I would want my money back, or take him to court. And if no one has the guts to tell him that they look like crap, then he will never do any better, and continue to do shotty work. It bothers me that people that go into the store, see his mounts, and if they do not know better, then they will think that, thats what ducks are supposed to look like. Go to the Gander Mountain in Greensboro NC and you will wee what I mean, sorry if I stepped on the taxidermists toes that done the work there, but its the truth. I don't know if this helped you any, but I needed to vent a little.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Good post DarkThirty Killer! I couldn't agree with you more!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby THIN MAN » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:12 pm

In my exp you get what you pay for. Best thing to do is find a taxi that specializes in ducks and geese and then carefully examine some of his work. My first bird was done by a guy who does some incredable turkeys, but a little too late I found out his duck mounts suck!! Worry about finding a good taxi first and then worry about the money. IMHO

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 pm

that sounds like a plan to me. Another step will be getting a duck that isnt torn up too badly that i think is something special.
youngster57
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:10 am

THIN MAN,

I find that odd that a guy would do great turkeys and poor ducks. Ducks are so much easier than turkeys. I'm not doubting you, or anything...
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:44 pm

I want to add one more thing. If you have a bird that is questionable, in my experience, a good taxidermist will tell you if he can make it work or not. if he/she tells you that it probally won't fix up. then listen to them, and count it as a loss. I had rather wait a while for another special bird, than to have a good taxidermist mount a bird that was incapable of being great to begin with.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:13 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIN MAN,

I find that odd that a guy would do great turkeys and poor ducks. Ducks are so much easier than turkeys. I'm not doubting you, or anything...

I can't say which is easier to do, it may just be that he is a very passionate turkey hunter and enjoys doing turkeys. But it could've been that I dropped the bird off in late jan and the s.c turkey season opened in early march so he rushed the mount. Whatever the reason is he won't get any more of my birds.

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 pm

For a quality duck mount expect to pay 225.00 to 250.00 per bird.
iF A BIRD COSTS YOU ALOT LESS THAN THAT THERE IS A REASON....
AND YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:41 am

Corey,

You are alive! :toofunny:

What's new?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dads_little_taxidermist11 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 pm

My taxidermist can do any duck about 75 to 100 bucks and does a very good job
Dads_little_taxidermist11
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:01 pm

"My taxidermist can do any duck about 75 to 100 bucks and does a very good job"

Well, how do we gat that kind of deal?
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

gentelman, its like this,i have judged work, i have found that before you spend anymoney take the time to check out their work.....most of us have work out in the public on display . or in our shops.. also check to see it your taxidermist is a duckhunter...i have found it easier to explain the type of mount to someone who knows what im talking about.
its hard to ask a man tomount a bird comming in to the decoys on a windy day if he hasnt been there.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum