how long

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

how long

Postby Joel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:05 pm

I have been looking at kits to mount ducks and quail what would be good for a frist timer
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby sheerperfection » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:55 pm

yea u and me both im thinking of starting to do that but have no idea HOW lol
sheerperfection
hunter

Postby poi96 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:13 am

If you want to do a duck, a diver is for sure the best way. You should get a movie or ask a local taxidermist if he could show you some things. Otherwise, taxidermy.net has real good info. Mounting ducks is pretty hard. I have done 4 now and they are just starting to look like ducks. It's nice to have a professional mount to go off of. Pheasants are supposed to be easy but I have never done one. Start off with something you dont care about but make sure it has minimal pin fethers. If you can get a hold of a merganser they are real easy to defat, a lot easier than most other ducks. By all means do not start with a woody or a teal. They are extremely hard, I have degreased about 10 birds now and I tore the hell out of a woody. Your also best off buying the indivdual things needed for the mount. A kit just has general sizes, if you buy the mannikin individually, you can pick one that is close to the exact body size. It makes it much easier. PM me if you guys need anymore help and I will try to help ya the best I can

-Bob
poi96
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum