Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gadwall or Greater Scaup?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PADuck 
#1 ·
I have a Gadwall thats plumed out as he can be from 2 years ago and I have an awesome Greater Scaup thats plumed out and bigger than most canvasbacks I killed last season, both in the freezer. I still can't decide which one to mount first. Any suggestions? Does the amount of time in the freezer affect them noticeably?

Thanks

#4 ·
The longer they sit in a freezer the more of a chance freezer burn will start taking it's toll....You should be able to save enough money for both with most "good" taxidermists having a fairly long waiting list. With your one Gadwal already sitting on a shelf for 2 years it would be the first to get done if both isn't an option.

To add some protection I always suggest wrapping each bird in about 8-10 SOAKING WET paper towels, making sure the head and feet are covered. This will become an ice barrier once it freezes and buy you some extra time......BUT freezers don't make things get better so take them to someone who can take care of your trophies.... ASAP :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.