Starting

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Starting

Postby tealslayerblw » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:05 pm

if you guys were going to start in taxidermy what steps would you take to making yourself a decent one from the start/what materials would you buy, what kind of bird would you mount, any good books/vids just anything is appreciated, thanks
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:15 pm

I've been self teaching myself. I haven't finished a duck yet, but each step of the way I'm learning more and more. My two suggestions that I would offer (as a beginner) is to buy a wire wheel for defatting the bird, and the second suggestion is to save several birds to learn/practice on. You do not want to learn on a "trophy" bird and ruin it through trial and error. There is much more to taxidermy than these two simple suggestions, just my two bits.

Good Luck.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby Yellowdog38 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Breakthrough manuals & videos will get you started. Save some ducks this season, divers are easier to start with, and get your hands dirty. The best thing you can possibly do if learning on your own is to join your state taxidermy association. Take a duck or two to the convention/competition and have it critiqued. I have learned more the last two years doing that than the previous 10 years combined. I get sick thinking about all the wasted time and money because I was too scared to put my birds up to be judged. Most of the guys are very helpful and only what to improve taxidermy as a whole. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 pm

:salude: GREAT IDEA YELLOWDOG. I HAVE JUDGED AT SOME OF THOSE SEMINARS. ALSO TAKE THE TIME TO STUDY SOME BOOKS ON WATERFOWL ANATOMY.

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum