Freezer Burn

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Freezer Burn

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:54 pm

I got a huge drake mallard in my freezer from last season. Its head is tucked under the wing and it is in a hard box. I was wondering if it is still possibe to mount this baby. I wanted to get it cupped up and its landing gear out. Its tail has 4 curls on it and its feet/legs are red. It is simply huge too. Thanks guys :salude:

T-MAn
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:11 pm

The box is a bad idea, but it should still be fine. The feet will be a bit dry, but should end up O.K. after a bit of soaking. Get the bird to your taxidermist, or else take some wet paper towel and wrap up those feet. Then re-wrap it in some heavy-duty feezer bags or vacuum wrap it to keep the dry freezer air away from it.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 pm

- Thanks Pete

It is all in freezer paper but inside the box to protect it from other things in the freezer. So the taxidermist wants me to thaw it out before i take it there? I know it will be his descision, but i wanted to see what you would do? Thanks alot

tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:40 am

Actually, the taxidermist prefers it frozen. The only thing is that freezer paper actually allows birds/food to dry out over time due to (dry) air getting to the specimen. So I would wrap it in plastic if you're not getting it to your taxidermist soon. So I wouldn't thaw it, and like I said before, it should still be fine.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:57 pm

thanksa alot agiain pete

-Tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:12 pm

:thumbsup: I ALSO WRAP THE FEET IN WET PAPERTOWLES BEFORE I PUT THEM ON THE FREEZER....EVVEN IF THEY ARE IN THERE FOR ALONG PERIOD OF TIME THEY ALWAYS STAY MOIST.

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum