Help with habitat

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Help with habitat

Postby TexasAggie12 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I just poured some art. water into my habitat scene and when it dried it shrunk a little bit. Now there is a gap between the border and the water. The only thing I can think of to do is pour a little bit around the edges to fill the gap. Does anyone have some pointers on how to prevent this from happening in the future, add more catalyst, less catalyst, pour on cool days etc.
TexasAggie12
hunter

Re: Help with habitat

Postby duxrus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am

I "think" the shrinkage is caused by it getting too hot when setting up so you might have added a bit much of the hardner...??? There are soooooo many varables when it comes to working with that stuff it can sometimes become a nightmare. I have changed over to Envirotex because even I can figure out a 50/50 mix :lol3:

As far as fixing your issue I would either add more art water or mud, which ever would be easiest in your case. Did you make a deep pour ? I know that usually works against you when getting in a hurry and wanting to just do it all at one time. Only pouring about 1/4" max per time seems to be the best route.
duxrus
hunter

Postby TexasAggie12 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm

The deepest spot was about 3/4", I'll try adding less next time. I'm going to try a different brand when I run out. The reason I bought the polytranspar brand was because they said it was the easiest to make ripples with but I tried and failed miserably.
TexasAggie12
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:12 pm

NEVER use the word "Easy" when talking about atrificial water :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum