Care for a bird to mount?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Care for a bird to mount?

Postby TxDox21 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm

I would like get a duck mounted this season and was wondering how to care for a bird that I would like to have mounted. Thanks for any information.
TxDox21
hunter

Postby BLACKDUK » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:16 pm

best way I know is put the bird in a pair of panty hose , it keeps the feathers real tight , and get to the taxidermist ASAP ...

Dont ask me how I know about the panty hose.. :yes:
sky busters, go home!!!
BLACKDUK
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm

I heard from a local taxidermist that panty hose was a big No-No...
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Place cottonballs in the birds mouth, tuck it`s head under the wing, and the place it in pantyhoses. Works great and keeps the feathers from being ruffled.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:29 am

DO NOT USE PANTYHOSE! It can cause more damage than its going to save. Wrap the feet with a wet disposable kitchen towel to keep the feet from freezer burn. Also wrap the head to keep the eye lids from freezer burn. Place in a double plastic bag, force the air out, tie off and freeze.

Always carry the bird by the feet, not by the head and never gut the bird out.

A nice quality mount starts with the care the bird is given in the field. If the bird is thrown around and not taken care of alot of damage can occur. A Taxidermist can make repairs if the damage is minor but its kind of hard to polish a turd.
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby BLACKDUK » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:14 pm

what ?? no panty hose.. that means you cant take the ones u pick up on friday night hunting on sat.. :eek:
sky busters, go home!!!
BLACKDUK
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:00 pm

:umm: i have been in the business for 45 yrs and i have used pantyhose then wrap them in freezeerpaper and have never had any problems.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 am

i heard pantyhose is good for from the field to the kitchen. once in the kitchen take paper towels. dampen them and wrap the duck up.

take the head lay it across the back. wrap the body and head in damp paper towel. wrap the feet individually. then put the duck into a freezer ziploc bag to prevent freezer burn.

i've done this on my mounts. the taxidermist loves it, he says they always look good and are not freezer burnt.

"we'll let em' make one more pass"
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:48 pm

wash bird thuro with cold water, place cotton balls around mouth and all pelet wounds, slide head first with cotton balls in panty hose, situate bird to lay flat, tie knot at end of bird, wrap in paper bag( make sure to seal up the bag) place in freezer laying flat, if possible get bird to taxidermist asap, if not possible bird will be fine for about 2 months at most!
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:22 am

I just dropped of two birds at the taxidermist. He has been in buisness for 25 years now. Here were his instuctions.

1. place cotton balls in mouth and on any wounds.
2. tuck the birds head under its wing.
3. Place bird in pantyhose (head first).
4. double wrap bird in PLASTIC bags. (best is bird is vacume sealed)
5. DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS OR PAPER BAG. It will draw out the moisture and could ruin bird!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I don't understand. All taxidermists say something different :umm:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby duckbuster » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:03 pm

i suppose the paper bag depends on how soon you get it to them and how soon they can get to it....i know mine does some its more of a hobbie and he gets through them really fast im talking 4 weeks and my woodie was done....i suppose the plastic makes sense if they wont get to it for a while or if you cant get it there for a while
duckbuster
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:16 pm

Do what your taxidermist tells you to do, then let him take over...
In the field i like them kept in a paper bag which breaths and keeps them clean and protected during hunting conditions and transport. In the freezer I like them in plastic with the feet wrapped in wet paper towels. But when they come to my shop I want them unfrozen and unwrapped, that way we get to examine the bird and check for damage and decide about poses. Then I get to tag, wrap and care for the bird before it goes in my freezer. I like the head tucked under a wing and legs wrapped in wet paper towels. Then wrapped in plastic and frozen. Not a hard thing. As far as cotton in all the orifices, its a nice touch but on ducks I'm going to use a fake head, feet get rehydrated and the entire skin is going to get washed better than your britches on laundry day so if you get alittle blood or feces here and there, its OK, I'll clean it. But please don't wring the neck or carry it around by the head, I'm not interested in fixing complete carelessness.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm

it sounds like ur a taxidermist so i have a question along these lines, now a bird that has taken a couple pelets to the head one not so noticeable and one is how hard is it to fix that one that is lil more noticeable its close to the begining of the beak???
duckbuster
hunter

Postby firebird » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Heads are tough because the feathers are small and there is generally lots of bleeding. So, the question is, how many feathers are gone, and how many will get scrubbed out when the blood is washed off. How do you feel about standing mounts with the head tucked back as though your bird is sleeping or preening? Sometimes you can even pull feathers from elsewhere and glue them in for patches-Please tell me you aren't like the client I had who lucked into a full color cinammon teal while he was goose hunting and pounded it with F shot!! Shot holes sew up, and as aforementioned fake skulls and bills are better than real ones, so if I was you I would take it to an experienced taxidermist and see how he feels about your bird. And yes I fixed the cinn. but I was a challenge the whole way and I charged extra for my time....
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:57 pm

no im not like that caught him out 30yds cross the water with 4's...its not big but its like i caught him at the edge of the bill on the skull with a stray pellet
duckbuster
hunter

Postby firebird » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:04 pm

It sounds very fixable to me...
firebird
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum