Has it been in the freezer to long?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Has it been in the freezer to long?

Postby KillerB » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:53 pm

:help: I killed a goose 2 years ago, put it in the freezer and now I want to have him mounted. I want to know if there are any experts on here that can tell me if it is still good. It has been wrapped in a garbage bag and placed in a box. CAN I STILL MOUNT IT? HELP!! :help:
KillerB
Newb

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:19 am

I'd say it is pretty dry by now. Salvagable? Maybe. It has definately been exposed to alot of potential freezer burn in the feet, head, and wings, but depending on how tightly it was wrapped and packed, there could still be hope. Get it to you taxidermist and let him decide.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

WELL

Postby jpm49878 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 am

MOST LIKELY I'D SAY ITS SHOT, BUT I WOULD TAKE IT TO THE TAXI, HE WILL DERERMINE ITS CONDITION.
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:50 pm

i mounted a canvasback that had been in a customers freezer for 7 yrs. it takes a lot of work but let your taxidermist determine if he wants to do it.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:04 pm

Lee,

Was the fat on that Can orange and like leather? I had a guy gift me a Can that was so old that it had lead pellets in it. It was very very dry, nearly completely freezer-burned, and the fat was permanently embedded into it's feather-butts and dried like a mummy! :laughing: I had to crush his skull to invert the head, using the bill incision. After about five hours of skinning, fleshing, washing, and more fleshing, and more soaking, and more fleshing, I finally came to the conclusion that this bird was not salvageable. It was a damn shame, because that bird was gorgeous!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbum13 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:34 pm

i had a drake woodie that i wanted mounted but didnt have the money at the time so i wraped it up in a bread bag and put it in the freezer. it sat there for about a year and a half and i took it to my taxi friend and he said if i would have wraped it better in a nylon or somthing so my guess would be no its probally not going to be good but its always worth a shot :thumbsup:
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:53 pm

pete
as the bird was starting to thaw i started soaking the feet in warm water and soap soaked rags, i also did the same thing to its headas my skinning is done thru the back i used warm water soaked papertowles and applied them to the skin as i worked, it took about 6 hours to mount, needless to say it didnt take long to dry. ill see if i have a picture of it and put it in here. the bird was an exceptional bird and the only one this guys dad had ever shot, his father had passed away so he wanted it done,
lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum