Duck Hunting Forum banner

ideas for a mount

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  duckhunter052002 
#1 ·
hey guys

Shot a nice wood duck last night and i think i'm going to get it mounted. I was wondering if any of you guys have any good ideas on mounted it. I was thinking about waiting until i get a couple more birds to mount it. Thinking about doing something along the lines of 2 greenhead 2 drake woodies and a drake green wing or soemthing and have them hanging in a box type thing that i could mount on the wall. Make it look like you just got done hunting and they are just hanging there. Let me know your veiws on this.

Thanks alot guys,
Max

#2 ·
I've seen a mount like you are describing,it kind of just looked like a bunch of dead birds,hanging upsidown from a hook,it was ok i guess. I always kind of liked a mount that looks lifelike. Flying,landing(cupped wings,feet out) or sitting on a piece of driftwood in a natural envirement.

#4 ·
The hands down best mount for a woodie is it standing on a cypress knot on one leg while scratching behind its ear with the other, much like a dog. Turn and lean the head just so, so the other foot can reach. An old friend has one in his camp on the fireplace mantle, it is the ****! :yes:

dead mounts are ok if you have a lot of room to show them like in a camp. Most folks wives won't let that type of mount in the house. :eek:

#5 ·
I don't like the mount that Pete posted. No offense Pete. But I have to agree, it looks like a couplle of dead birds.

I think the beautiful thing about a mount is catching the life of the birds, making them look real. If you want a combo mount get a woddie hen and mount them together. I have seen some pretty impressive male/female mounts. If you have a ton of mounts already, the one Pete posted would be something cool to add to the mix, but if this is all you got....think twice about waiting it out too long.

#7 ·
I always thought it would be cool to have a pair of wood ducks (drake & hen) mounted on a wood duck nesting box....have the drake standing on the top of the box with the hen poking her head out of the enterance hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.