HOW IS EVERYONES SEASON GOING

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

HOW IS EVERYONES SEASON GOING

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:15 pm

HEY GUYS LETS HEAR HOW THE HUNTING IS GOING OURS HAS BEEN SLOW HERE WITH ALL THE NICE WEATHER.

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Lee,

It's been pretty slow in my normal haunts, but have made some incredibly generous friends on DHC, and few other sites on the web, and have hunted some really nice spots. Some places that I feel very privileged to be there as a guest. I have shot some ducks that I ordinarily don't shoot, and just got home after hunting pool 9 on the Mississippi where I harvested a couple Canvasback mounters. The USFWS has estimated that there is 250,000 Canvasback rafted in this perticular area alone. Let's just say AWESOME to see that! We hunted over a raft of Cans that was thousands of birds thick. The only thing that sucks, is the fact that once you shoot your 1 Can, bird identification becomes very important very quick, although every bird that flies up there happens to be a Canvasback! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 pm

:getdown: fantastic pete,i have seen several but they have been low caliber, i let them go..buffle head and goldeneyes are just begining to show up. mallards are still setting north of us, i am getting tired of shooting greenwing and european teal, ruddies and bluebill .. our cananda season opens the 24th..cant waite. keep in touch.
lee

idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Dukslayer26 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm

Been great for me in the Cali Delta

I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!
Dukslayer26
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:05 pm

:salude: congrats looks like someone is havin a good one,,,,,,,hey pete, passed on a flock of cans yesterday nothing worth droppin lots of out of color drakes,,,,,,,,canada opens friday THANK God,,,,,, mallards have been srttin with the geese and the geese arent movin because no pressure.

lee

idenify before you shoot (keeps ya legal) :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:32 am

Good luck on those Canadas! Our duck season ends at the beginning of December, then it's time to hit the fields. All Greaters here. I love to hear the thump when they hit the ground! :cool:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bdo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 pm

Out East, very slow, was 60 degrees yesterday. Finally cold weather is on it's way
bdo
Newb

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 am

:getdown: hey pete i shot a richardson that was with mallards,, small enough that the mallards are bigger when i get it mounted ill send ya pic..

lee

idenify beforre ya shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:50 pm

Richardson's? I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of that particular sub-species. That's what I call our little geese here as well. Some people will call them Hutchinson's (sp.), but I'm no expert on geese anyhow. Like you, I like to call them wall mounters. :thumbs up:

I shot one about three years ago that was the size that you are referring to, but a friend of mine wanted it for his collection, so I gifted it to him. I thought I'd get another, but still have yet to shoot one that small.

Our duck season ends Tuesday, and tomorrow happens to be the last day I can officially hunt ducks due to work, but it was a pretty good season all in all. Shot plenty of Mallards, made a bunch of new friends, and am mentoring a couple of newbies on the finer arts of bird hunting, calling, and taxidermy. It's been a blast having people actually listen to you, and I think they're even learning a thing or two! :toofunny:

I added a few birds to my collection, but it's getting harder to find a bird that I don't already have. I finally shot a decent hen Woody. I know it sounds like an easy bird to fill, but I've had some bad luck between dogs licking the feathers off (no, not mine), too shot up to even try to mount, or just plain not in plumage, but I finally shot a real beauty. There isn't many of the North American ducks that I still need. Maybe a pair of Kings, a pair of Common Mergansers, and a couple nice various hens, like a Cinnamon Teal, and a Gadwall, but that pretty much covers the gamut.

Now it's time to hit the fields. I've got a neighbor who's been spreading manure on his fields, and now that we got 10 inches of snow, I should be able to get a few hunts near that field. I shot two monsters today, a 15 and 13 pounder, but they were just bonus birds while we were fighting the ice going for those last few Mallard days. Also shot six Mallards. I'm hoping we can still get out at the launch tomorrow with all the ice we're making? It was 11 degrees out this morning, and I'm sure it's going to be as cold tonight. Unfortunately I broke out a taillight on my trailer even after breaking a whole at the launch! :thumbsdown:

Well, Good luck to you Lee, and shoot the lips off them geese! :eek:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:03 am

Duck season's been good out here in MT. It's been cold and snowy and that's produced some nice mixed bags of widgeon, pintails, fatdogs, teal, goldeneyes, bluebills. To name a few.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum