mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

mount

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:50 pm

I got my first wood duck today and its a drake. I want to get this mounted, I put it in a freezer bag and just set it in the freezer after cleaning the blood off. Is there anything else to do?

How much should I expect to get this done???

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:39 am

Mike, sounds perfect. I would say the first thing you want to do is shop around. Some guys specialize in fish, others in large game, while others specialize in bird taxidermy. Usually the guys who mount birds take it very serious. Stop by their shop and check out their work. Act like you know what you're talking about. A few questions you could ask the taxidermist are; "do you use artificial heads and/or feet?" "Do you calk your wings?" "Do you tumble your birds, or do you just blow them dry?" When you ask them these "key" questions, He'll think you know what you're talking about. He'll be more apt not to screw you or take any short-cuts. I would rather pay a higher price for quality than pay less for a duck that may turn yellow with grease stains in a couple years. You can expect to pay 150 to 200 dollars for a good quality bird. If you find someone who charges 100 dollars, you may want to run the other direction. Although there are wholesale taxidermists who charge near that price. Those prices are reserved for other taxidermists bringing them several ducks at a time. Good luck! Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:38 pm

some people charge anywhere from 100+ dont go to cheap because it might come out bad. I got a shoveler done for 150 and it looks great!
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Taxidermy Forum