taxidermy videos?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

taxidermy videos?

Postby swampdonkey » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:19 pm

I just got my father into duck hunting, he's a big deer man. But he really wants to learn how to mount waterfowl. He's got a couple of birds I got this year, he wants a dvd to show him the steps. I figured this was the place to find the best video, so any suggestions? thanks for any help. :salude:
swampdonkey
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:11 pm

swampdonkey,

Never was taught by video. I learned hands-on, so I can only tell you to try this perticular question on taxidermy.net, and they may give you better advice. I do know that Stephan Savides (sp.) and Dave Luke make videos, so that's a start. I would imagine that most videos are only going to lay down the basics though.

Good luck!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Coot Man » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:52 am

:withstupid: by no means am I a taxidermist but I started teaching myself about a year ago. I've gone through a lot of birds learning and taking them to a local taxidermist and asking questions. About a month ago I finally finished my first bird. But, I agree you can watch a hundred videos, but until you get your hands a little dirty you don't gain any real experience.

The other advice I would give is to save the really nice birds in the freezer until you can finish a bird the way you would like, and practice on a few birds that are very common in your area, so when you make a mistake you are not heart broken. Good luck and have fun.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum