Leg replacement on a standing wood duck.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Leg replacement on a standing wood duck.

Postby loon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:01 pm

A few years back before I started to inject the feet of my waterfowl, I managed to do a really nice job On a really Woodduck that turned out in all respects other than shriveled dry feet. What would be the process to replace just the feet with artificial feet or fresh feet from a new Woodduck and in this crazy world of wildlife laws I think some of you will tell me that it is illegal. Currently the bird is just wired to a piece of driftwood with the natural feet curved around the branch. I am strictly at a hobbyist level now and mount about 4 to 6 birds a year
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Leg replacement on a standing wood duck.

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:36 am

I think it would be relatively simple. I would rehydrate the skin where the leg attaches to the feather of the duck. Once it was pliable, I would cut around the leg with a scalpel, then either snip the wire or bone, or both. The replacement feet could be injected and painted prior to reinstallation. I would bend my wire like a pointed fish hook, and shove it in the manikin, where it would stick in the form, and not pull out easily. Then glue the feather back in place. many guys attach their feet after they are injected and mounted. There is a tutorial in the tutorial section on taxidermy.net showing the process.

With the bird being dry, the operation will take some slight improvisation, but the bird will be light enough to be supported by a heavier wire without tucking the wire like you would when the manikin is exposed (during the initial mounting you did on the duck years ago).

By the way, The USFWS has no issues with you replacing your own duck's feet....we won't get into it if it was a customer's bird and all the technical garbage that would go with that operation lol.

Here is a drawing of what I'm referring to by a pointed hook. This is actually what I do when installing a flying duck foot instead of running the wire through the form, and running it back into the form to lock it in. I just take the wire, and bent the wire to a dull point, and make a barbed piece hanging off to slide in, and not pull out.
Attachments
wire for duck.png
wire for duck.png (4.99 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby loon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks Pete , that is a great idea and I think I could do that. My taxidermy catalog also
shows some artificial wood duck feet on an artificial rock would that be easier or more difficult ?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes, that would be easier. Go Packers!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't "think" the artifical feet bend so couldn't be conformed to the structure the bird is attached to for a natural look.

Pete's way would definitely work :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum