Dealing With Freezer Burn

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Dealing With Freezer Burn

Postby windjammer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm looking for some advice from taxidermists who have dealt with freezer burn before. My brother who lives out of town informed me today that he has a gadwall he has been keeping in the freezer for the past 6 months , and he's hoping to take it to the taxi in the next month or so. Problem is, he kept it in pantyhose AND didn't bag it. I don't have pictures or know the definite condition of the bird, but im curious. Have any of you dealt with birds that were improperly cared for in a similar way? And if so, given this situation, do you think it would still be mountable? I figure what he DOES have going for him is it has been well less than a year, but I've never mounted a bird myself, so I would love your opinions? Thanks!
windjammer
hunter

Re: Dealing With Freezer Burn

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 am

Personally I don't think it will be trashed. If the freezer is a frost free freezer, it will certainly dry out the feet, wings and head, but it is probably still fine. Tell him to wrap the feet and head with a wet paper towel, and put it in a couple freezer bags with the air pressed out of it. If he is going to get it mounted, then get it to the taxidermist and be done with it. Delaying the process is only going to increase the chances that the bird will continue to get damage....either in the form of feather damage or continued freezer burn.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm

X2...........feet have to be pretty far gone to not be fixable.

Rule # 46..........leave the women's ware at home and take zip locs to the field :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby windjammer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Good to know guys, thanks for the advice! I guess we will know for sure when we see the finished product, so I will make a mention of how the bird turns out! Thanks again
windjammer
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Iv'e seen some preety dried out feet that were ''soaked'' up in strong salt water solution overnight ,then injected,tales a lot to hurt one but I'm with the advice take it in NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! and be done with it. I've been waiting over a year for a guy who said he was bringing me a collection of puddlers and divers for a strap mount.Trouble is by the time he makes up his mind they will have been tumbled dropped sat upon by the 20 pound Thanksgiving turkey so much it'll show in the final product.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum