Mounted mallard

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Mounted mallard

Postby Nelly » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:55 am

:spam: OK is this ok???? I shot as green head here a week ago, and I blew a hole (big hole in th abdonmen and little in the back) and the intestines where even fallen out. My first for seeing intestines falling out (crazy)! But can this bird be mounted???? I really want to have it mounted it is a nice 3 curl mallard and it was my dogs first mallard ever, first of the season for me and her so on and so on. Any ways do I need a good taxidermey or can I go with the average joe do it. YES I want it mounted correct but going to the best taxidermy is a couple hundred dollars more (my wife will be cool but the more I can save the bettter). I can settel for less but still want it a good mount.
the hole is big
:salude:

CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby Murph » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:09 am

You can always have it mounted with the body angled and the hole - if it cant be corrected - turned away from being seen.
Murph
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:48 am

if the hole cant be fixed you can have him flying with his guts to the wall, or have a sitting mount :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby tealslayerblw » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:59 am

yea, sitting mounts are awessome
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Nelly » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I think I like the idea of belly facening the wall that might be good.... Does any one have any pics of mounts with belly facening the wall, I really would like to see them..

:salude: CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby bird man » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:22 pm

Here's one but not a mallard
bird man
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:57 pm

I say "dead" mount it. Have it hanging by one leg with a leather strap off the wall. The under body/abdomen can be against the wall. They look pretty neat hanging with their wings out to their side. If you're interested I can post a few pic's of this type of mount. If not, oh well....good luck with the mount either way.
You asked for flying mount pics, heres a nice Gadwall drake.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=323459&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:15 pm

I really like both of those, Coulds you post a pic of one "dead" hanging from a strap that sounds sooo cool. I just saw one on here with some other ducks or something. Not sure if I liked those that much but would like to see more pics of other ones...... :salude:

CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:47 pm

I would suggest having your chosen taxidermist look at it and tell you his impression.--Maybe it cannot be mounted. OR maybe it could be mounted and the hole completely fixed so that any pose would work. I have had 2 come in this year that were torn wide open across the breast from falling onto frozen cattails. Both were very prime and I was able to mount them with no noticeable marks. It was a fun challenge but the customers were aware that the birds might not even be mountable. Let the person mounting your mallard decide or put it in the freezer and see if you kill a better one.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Nelly » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 pm

once agian I get Another good idea.....
Sorry some web sites that I have been going to for YEARS don't give this much feed back... Thanks agian.

CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:50 pm

I haven't forgot about you and posting some dead mount pics. I haven't found the right work album that has those pics yet. My buddy just moved into his new shop and things are still packed away.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:21 pm

Hers one of dead mount mixed bag to include your mallard. Not my friends work, but still a great work of art.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=387220&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
huntmq1
hunter

Postby bird man » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:02 pm

here's a coulple

bird man
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum