Question

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Question

Postby Michigan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:14 pm

I have noticed that when it comes to whitetail deer shoulder mounts, there are a variety of different forms that taxidermists may choose from. I have also noticed that the forms vary and some are thinner and some are thick and more muscular looking. That being the case, is it advisable to provide the taxidermist with photos of the deer from various angles in order to aid in choosing the correct form?
Michigan
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Your deer will be measured in neck size and in the forehead/face. Depending on those sizes, you will have to pick which maker and form you want. Some are better than others. Some have good heads and poor brisket areas. Some have a great body with poor or skinny heads. (A poor or cheap purchased form can ruin what could of been a great looking mount.) Then when you decide, you have to see if they have one that fits your deer's sizes. You will also need to decide how you want the ears. Back, forward or one of each. Deer with taller racks look better with the ears back or at least one back. It gives the appearance of being wider and taller. Wider racks, ears forward or back depends on your prefernce. I think deer mounts that are straight forward and have the ears forward look like a cow. "How boring" is what I always say. Also deer with small ears look goofy with the ears forward.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:36 am

Nice post huntmq1. If you want a muscular looking (non-anatomical) mount, then go with MacKenzie's forms. They look like deer on steroids. :smile:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 pm

Just the way I like 'em! Lots of deep detail and big necks! :thumbsup:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum