Argentina dead straps

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Argentina dead straps

Postby AAR » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Was messing around in photobucket and don't think I ever posted up some of the mounts from my Argentina trip last summer. Won't bother everybody with the hunt pics since the mounts are done and you can see the finished product. I ended up doing a a hunt each for the doves, then pigeons, and on the last day Perdiz. Wanted to do an upland strap with great representations for each species.
From left to right: spotted nothura, red winged tinamou, spot-winged pigeon, picazurro pigeon, eared dove.

This is the teal and shoveler strap, ended up with 15 species so had to section them up in appropriate groupings.
From left to right: Brazilian teal hen, Brazilian teal drake, speckled teal drake, ringed teal drake, ringed teal hen, then red shoveler drake on bottom left, and silver teal drake on bottom right. One of my favorites because the amount of color on these birds is just crazy!

There is a third and final that has the remaining species like rosy billed pochard pair, white faced and fulvous whistling ducks, giant wood rail, etc but haven't got a good picture yet since the wood rail was just recently completed. Will add to this post once its all set.

Thanks for looking,

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Argentina dead straps

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:16 pm

That some OCD sort of shingling right there Son! Very clean, but I couldn't take that sort of time to layer those feathers one at a time like that. You are a sick man. Looks great!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Comb...cough...comb pics?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Dirty Doug » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 am

Really great looking mounts and so well done! If I may ask how were you able to get them back to the states?
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby AAR » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks guys, I wish there was some way to show how much goes into those pigeons and doves from shooting them to a finished mount. Wasn't as careful with my first born as those things :eek: kidding of course!
Pete: your right man, no argument there. Something about lines and patterns and wanting them as sharp as possible that definitely leans toward OCD!
Doug: same way as birds from any other country, prep them at the location, declare upon arrival, have my USFWS forms filled out before hand and I'm a USDA approved facility. I think many people see it as a daunting task because there is certainly more effort that goes into traveling abroad than going to Maine, Alaska, etc and just flying back with birds but as long as all the paper work is done prior to and everything is followed legally, then the law is on your side.
Brian: I think you've seen the ipad pic of the other on the Facebook page? I gotta get that darn wood rail on there and get some good pics. Then it's hopefully time to start putting some of the New Zealand stuff together. Going to go back down to Argentina again next summer except a little later to get into different stuff since we knocked so much off the list on our trip. Those masked ducks and argentine Ruddys are calling me!

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

Look....enough's enough with your work....
We all know that those birds are alive...
just turn the box over and let the poor things fly away..jees
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am

Gotta love the Brazilians. Even with all their pin-feathers they are a favorite of mine. nice job.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 pm

No doubt pin feathered messes :eek: we piled those dudes up in the area we hunted, the particular morning of this pic we had our fill of brazilians and packed up early to chase giant wood rail. They said I was the first to actually do that, not sure if that is a proud or embarrassing moment but sure was happy to do it.

Here is the bird prior to be finished out, dr pepper can for size reference. Giant wood rail is not a misnomer for sure

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby AAR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Look....enough's enough with your work....
We all know that those birds are alive...
just turn the box over and let the poor things fly away..jees

:lol3: :lol3: compliment greatly appreciated, the best one a guy can get is them looking alive :beer:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby troutman561 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Very cool trip and beautiful birds. I know we look at those birds in awe because we don't have them here in the states. But, I was wondering if those who live and hunt down there envy what we have? I'm sure it goes both ways.
troutman561
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 am

Very few, if any Argentines duck hunt as they can't afford it. The only LIP's I've seen hunting were going for Perdiz or big game.

Entre Rios, Santa Fe and Corrientes provinces are loaded with Brazilians as well as Uruguay. They are impressive flying in the sunlight to say the least.

The Wood Rail is nice. Only shot a few and never brought one back, wish I had now!!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:58 am

Those rails were cagey little buzzards but Eric and I each picked one off.

Wonder what they taste like...Eric, you get yours on the grill?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Cut your nails.....God only knows what kind of avian yuck you got under them!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby AAR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

beretta24 wrote:Those rails were cagey little buzzards but Eric and I each picked one off.

Wonder what they taste like...Eric, you get yours on the grill?

No on that, probably for the best :lol3: I want to go after that other smaller one they had down there, next time for sure.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby labman63 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm

And my wife thinks I travel alot to duck hunt!
labman63
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Those are mind blowingly beautiful. Fantastic work!
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

aar on you on taxi net by chance
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm on there rarely, same screen name.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:56 am

I am also under redneck express your style strikes familer and for sum reason I remember a video you may have did of jumping a duh off a river/ Creek that was black and white that kind of had a cross on its head / and a lot of your out of country birds are done in a similar form that you have shown pictures of. Not a negative thing actually it has stuck in my head
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby AAR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Only thing I can figure is...are you talking about the torrent duck hunt in Peru? That video really showed the raging rapids those little birds live in. Just crazy, and almost as equally crazy to hunt them!

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby BDK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 am

Im not familiar with bringing game back besides filling paper work out . Do you have to pay permits or anything like tgat

BDK
BDK
hunter

Postby AAR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:35 am

For you, no. You have to print and fill out the 3-177 form from the USFWS and make the declaration on the slip they hand you on the plane when returning. That and of course the hunting license and export permit from the country your hunting In which varies quite a bit. For example, directly through the government in New Zealand I got the export permit for 40 New Zealand dollars and the license was I think 76USD after my bank converted currency. Places like Scotland have no hunting licenses but permits through the local police departments for firearm use which constitutes a hunting license.
I have the import permit as an approved facility with the USDA. This is expensive and requires quarterly inspections. Like any government based entity it seems like a mountain to climb but best thing is to have the help of someone who has done a good number of trips in different places and it's really quite easy. My personal view is I go with every shred of paperwork that I may need for any possible situation and I've needed less than 10% of it on any given trip but all they have to do is ask for something in particular that you don't have and big problems arise quickly.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby BDK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 am

Cool , what about large game do you pay for shipping and such . How do they ship it

BDK
BDK
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

AAR wrote:Only thing I can figure is...are you talking about the torrent duck hunt in Peru? That video really showed the raging rapids those little birds live in. Just crazy, and almost as equally crazy to hunt them!

Eric

that be it post a the mount of that duck up with the others.
hillbilly..
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum